GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD starting Problems

sturgeon boy

Passed Driver's Ed
ive done some searches on here and google and cant find a definitive answer my 2014 GTD is a nightmare to start from cold

after its been started its fine stop/start works perfectly its only when its been sitting for a while

i thought about changing the fuel filter as it has 68000 on it and was changed at 59000

its no longer under warranty so im hoping its not an expensive fix as i've only had it 3 weeks

some say there is a software update ?

others have changed numerous things fuel pump etc. with varying degrees of success

anyone any ideas ?

pcr

Ready to race!
After only 3 weeks I would go back to where it came from. Other than that and for no good reason, i would look at the plugs.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Are you letting the glow plugs do their thing before cranking it?

sturgeon boy

Passed Driver's Ed
this morning i let the glow plugs go (out approx 1 second)and it started perfectly 1st time i'm still going to get the fuel filter changed as 59000 between changes seems excessive and its only £30 i'll just have to see if that was the problem as i also have a 19 year old mk4 that doesnt need that
i'll also check the battery as it was sitting for a while before i bought it

i bought an obdeleven pro yesterday would problems like these show up on that ?

sturgeon boy

Passed Driver's Ed
well i got the fuel filter changed and it didn't really make any difference straight away but gradually over the last couple of weeks its been better but for the last few days its back to how it was taking lots of turning over on its first start of the day to get going not sure what to try now

sturgeon boy

Passed Driver's Ed
I got the battery checked / tested yesterday it came back as good but needing recharged i've had it charging all night and it started perfectly this morning but time will tell if that's all it was needing

fingers crossed

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
I'm not sure glowplugs are the issue

I had keyless on my GTD and the starting sequence didn't allow any time for the glowplugs to heat. It went hit button - needle sweep - turnover in quick succession. After a few revolutions it always started. It didn't matter if the engine was cold or had been started earlier.

do you know anyone with VCDS to see if its throwing any codes for fuel pressure etc ?

At the risk of scaring the shit out of you, friend of mine had a passat tdi that could be a bit temperamental starting. It turned out it had striped a couple of teeth off the timing belt so the sequence was slightly out. One time he tried to start it the belt failed completely and it just wouldn't start. Thankfully the belt failed at just at the right time and nothing got bent.

Last edited:

sturgeon boy

Passed Driver's Ed
i dont have vcds but i do have an obdeleven pro and its not showing up any faults at all its the fact that after the first start of the day its fine after that the stop start all works perfectly too.

Dervdave

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTD
I had keyless on my GTD and the starting sequence didn't allow any time for the glowplugs to heat. It went hit button - needle sweep - turnover in quick succession.

Sorry wrong, as you probably found out for yourself now (its an old thread) and for the benefit of new owners, the car will only actually start when the clutch is depressed so just pressing the start button switches on the ignition and preheats the glow pugs, after a short while a second press on the start button and a depressed cluch will start the engine. :)

Dbriggs85

Car(s)
GOLF GTD MK7
I’ve had such an issue where every couple weeks or thereabouts my 2014 GTD will take an extra second or 2 to start, it had done a couple of fairly lengthy cranks and I had VW install a slow start software update, I’ve had it serviced and I run it on premium diesel, I could spend hundreds on having injectors and glow plugs etc tested but I reckon I wouldn’t be any the wiser, seems I just have to put up with it

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Battery on the way out??