GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

7MAT

Great thread!!!

I'm now planning on adding a BCS Powervalve downpipe complete with racing cat, along with the Vibrant 17930 resonator matched up to the std box.

I've found a reseller for Vibrant in the UK with stock and BCS Powervalve are UK based anyway and guarantee no cel.

I reckon this would work especially well, any issues with this type of system when keeping the ECU standard? Don't wish to remap the car just yet for warranty / TD1 reasons.

Matt

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Just got my 17930 welded in today... what a difference! Adding the Vibrant resonator deepened the tone a bit and more importantly eliminated all the drone I was getting after adding my catted downpipe. Thanks Jake for the recommendation.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

No problem, glad this thread is starting to speak for its self

Great thread!!!

I'm now planning on adding a BCS Powervalve downpipe complete with racing cat, along with the Vibrant 17930 resonator matched up to the std box.

I've found a reseller for Vibrant in the UK with stock and BCS Powervalve are UK based anyway and guarantee no cel.

I reckon this would work especially well, any issues with this type of system when keeping the ECU standard? Don't wish to remap the car just yet for warranty / TD1 reasons.

Matt

No issues, the ecu can adjust plenty even with the stock tune. If you do decide you want more power later on check out JB1 or JB4. It doesn't flag TD1 and can be removed if you need to visit the dealer

7MAT

No issues, the ecu can adjust plenty even with the stock tune. If you do decide you want more power later on check out JB1 or JB4. It doesn't flag TD1 and can be removed if you need to visit the dealer

Thanks Jake ??

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!

Could the dealer manually flag a TD1 just from visually seeing an upgraded downpipe?
They could also deny warranty repairs on motor/transmission due to an upgraded downpipe?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
No on the TD1, that's not a dealer level thing. Their computer uses the flash counter and flags TD1 automatically if is showing tuned.

Highly unlikely they'd care about a down pipe...unless you come in complaining about a exhaust rattle and they lift the car to find it's not a stock exhaust. You're not tearing stuff up with DP gains

FLtrooper

Go Kart Champion
Anyone trying the vibrant 1141 or other Ultra Quiet offerings? I had a lot of luck with the ultra quiet on my mk6. It has a tad more volume and really helps soak up the drone!

:)

rjtrout

Go Kart Newbie
So, what sort of volume would I be looking at if I ran the while APR Turbo Back with the secondary muffler?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Their "secondary muffler" is a resonator and almost identical to the Vibrant 17950. Just way overpriced, heavy (cast stainless) and poorly fitting big ol exhaust tips. For the money AWE is much nicer. Or for much much less money go the custom route

Edit: I should say for less money AWE is much nicer.

You can get a good catted DP and add the Vibrant 17930 for 1/4 the cost of APR

I should also be more clear that when I say the Vibrant Ultra Quite doesn't have enough volume I'm referring to the measurement in cubic inches, not volume as in dB

Last edited:

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!
No on the TD1, that's not a dealer level thing. Their computer uses the flash counter and flags TD1 automatically if is showing tuned.

Highly unlikely they'd care about a down pipe...unless you come in complaining about a exhaust rattle and they lift the car to find it's not a stock exhaust. You're not tearing stuff up with DP gains
I'm aware of the TD1 being triggered from the checksum on the flash counter when it does not match the value on the VW central server.

But lets say someone had a non flash related issue - a bad turbo but also an aftermarket DP - could the dealer/VW tech dismiss warranty on the repair due to an aftermarket performance part?

Im very keen on purchasing an APR catted DP but the above is my only concern.
No plans on flashing the ecu.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
That's even more reason not to go with the APR DP, since almost $200 of its price is to cover the "free" upgrade from stage 1 to stage 2. CTS Catted DP is more than $200 cheaper, much lighter, and IMO better quality.

We're getting way off topic here, and this has been covered in several other threads but it's highly unlikely any tech would care that you've upgraded your downpipe. The ecu controls boost with the DV and WG so a free flowing exhaust won't effect turbo speed in any way. If your turbos gonna go it'll happen regardless of which dp is on the car

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion