GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Catback recommendations with APR DP?

MusicMan

I have the APR downpipe paired with the Remus resonator and muffler. It's very clean sounding, gives you a good boost to the sound without sounding overbearing or ridiculous. Compared to when I had the downpipe with the stock cat-back, and then a Magnaflow cat back (which was basically like straight-piping with how little the muffler did on that thing), the Remus catback system when paired with the APR downpipe sounds sporty, aggressive when you drive hard, but subtle enough when cruising that you get no drone and still a sporty sounding exhaust. Plus, when up-shifting with the DSG you still get a very aggressive sounding dsg shift noise.

This is the best video I've found that demonstrates how it sounds: https://youtu.be/MaEBn-V6p4w

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I have the APR downpipe paired with the Remus resonator and muffler. It's very clean sounding, gives you a good boost to the sound without sounding overbearing or ridiculous. Compared to when I had the downpipe with the stock cat-back, and then a Magnaflow cat back (which was basically like straight-piping with how little the muffler did on that thing), the Remus catback system when paired with the APR downpipe sounds sporty, aggressive when you drive hard, but subtle enough when cruising that you get no drone and still a sporty sounding exhaust. Plus, when up-shifting with the DSG you still get a very aggressive sounding dsg shift noise.

This is the best video I've found that demonstrates how it sounds: https://youtu.be/MaEBn-V6p4w
That sounds close to stock until you nail it... Then it sounds amazing. :eek: :D :cool:

MusicMan

That sounds close to stock until you nail it... Then it sounds amazing. :eek: :D :cool:

It seems that way but it has a very mature deep rumble at idle, and under load it sings much more than stock does. Really it just makes it sound over-all sportier without being obnoxious. Deep and subtle. Now, you CAN get a non-muffler version of the exhaust as well, and I've thought of getting it, but I really enjoy the subtle sound of the resonator and muffler combination.

Vobs56

Ready to race!
It seems that way but it has a very mature deep rumble at idle, and under load it sings much more than stock does. Really it just makes it sound over-all sportier without being obnoxious. Deep and subtle. Now, you CAN get a non-muffler version of the exhaust as well, and I've thought of getting it, but I really enjoy the subtle sound of the resonator and muffler combination.

I am wondering how similar the CSS muffler+vibrant resonator will sound to the remus resonator+muffler...

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
I am wondering how similar the CSS muffler+vibrant resonator will sound to the remus resonator+muffler...

I'd assume they're probably in the same ballpark.

Vobs56

Ready to race!
I'd assume they're probably in the same ballpark.

Decided to go the safe route after hearing some cold-start clips of the CSS muffler w/o an upgraded resonator and ordered the Vibrant 17930 resonator. I had a $60 amazon gift card that I didn't even know I had so that made the decision easy. Maybe that was a sign lol.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Alright so I ended up going back to the stock muffler. Can't beat how quiet it is and no more drones and vibrations.

I've heard the APR DP / AWE Touring setup in real life and it's fairly quiet compared to the setup that I had: Resonated/Catted DP -> Stock Resonator -> Clubsport S Muffler.

I'll probably end up going AWE Touring the next time I mess with any aftermarket exhausts or maybe if the vibrant resonator is quieter than stock. But for now, I'll enjoy how quiet and understated it is.

Last edited:

Vobs56

Ready to race!
Alright so I ended up going back to the stock muffler. Can't beat how quiet it is and no more drones and vibrations.

I've heard the APR DP / AWE Touring setup in real life and it's fairly quiet compared to the setup that I had: Resonated/Catted DP -> Stock Resonator -> Clubsport S Muffler.

I'll probably end up going AWE Touring the next time I mess with any aftermarket exhausts or maybe if the vibrant resonator is quieter than stock. But for now, I'll enjoy how quiet and understated it is.

Derushi, if it is of any help to you I could take a video of my set-up once it arrives from Cars 245. I will have Catted APR DP -> Vibrant 17930 resonator -> Clubsport S muffler. That might give you a better idea then of whether to go AWE Touring vs. adding a vibrant resonator to the CSS muffler compared to what you had with the stock resonator.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
But its the opposite according to AWE. This is the note i found in their webpage:

From civil to disobedient:
Touring Edition with factory downpipe
Touring Edition with Performance Downpipe
Track Edition with factory downpipe
Track Edition with Performance Downpipe

Hmmm...
That's interesting.
I've always thought that the track with factory downpipe was quieter than the touring with performance downpipe.

I was randomly looking into AWE webpage and found this. Maybe it was updated recently.

From civil to disobedient:
Touring Edition with factory downpipe
Track Edition with factory downpipe
Touring Edition with Performance Downpipe
Track Edition with Performance Downpipe

Vobs56

Ready to race!
I just had the Vibrant 17930 resonator and CSS muffler installed at my local Tuffy and it sounds fantastic. Compared to the stock catback with catted APR Downpipe it's much more refined, there's way less drone (especially between the 2500-3000 rpm range regardless of how much throttle you give it. This is certainly a huge credit to the Vibrant resonator. I feel like if I went with the CSS muffler and kept the stock resonator it would have been significantly louder with much more drone than what I had before. The sound is much deeper as well. I love that when I am just cruising around town it sounds nice and sporty but it sounds more toned down when I want it to be but then once you put some good throttle into it bellows like a banshee. The DSG farts are also much more pronounced and deeper as well so you don't get that tin can sound. Comparing it to another set-up it sounds like an APR DP with a resonated Remus catback, so a great alternative to get that deep, refined sound for a fraction of the cost.