GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG transmission - gear flashing?

snakcaz

Ready to race!
A couple days ago i was driving up a hill from park. When i put it in 'D', it started rocking back and forth from D-> N -> D -> N and repeated on the dash. I had to put it in park, put it back in D, and then it went.

I've looked around and seen some forums say it may be a mechatronics failure? But I haven't found anything for MK7s

What should I do? Any ideas what's causing it?

snakcaz

Ready to race!
I'm the 2nd owner and don't really know what's been "modified" in terms of electronically.

Its at 13k miles, and i don't think any errors flashed on the dash. It just did it on its own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Ah, another reason to have a VCDS. You'll need to take your car to a dealer unless you buy the diagnostic software and check for yourself. If it has a tune you'll need to pay for the repair yourself. But unless you're low on fluid it sounds like either a software issue or solenoid. Haven't really heard of Mechatronics issues lately.

snakcaz

Ready to race!
Ah, another reason to have a VCDS. You'll need to take your car to a dealer unless you buy the diagnostic software and check for yourself. If it has a tune you'll need to pay for the repair yourself. But unless you're low on fluid it sounds like either a software issue or solenoid. Haven't really heard of Mechatronics issues lately.

I have an obd2 reader, was thinking of buying obdeleven, would that be okay?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I have an obd2 reader, was thinking of buying obdeleven, would that be okay?

Many people like OBD11. Personally, I prefer VCDS because everything's built in (nothing else to buy if you want to do tweaks) and you get free software updates and email support for life. It costs as low as $199 new for use on up to 3 cars (VIN's). OBD11 costs less, I don't know the current price.

snakcaz

Ready to race!
Many people like OBD11. Personally, I prefer VCDS because everything's built in (nothing else to buy if you want to do tweaks) and you get free software updates and email support for life. It costs as low as $199 new for use on up to 3 cars (VIN's). OBD11 costs less, I don't know the current price.

I was told that obdeleven is actually free, as long as someone knows how to code.

The one button coding apps that come with the obdeleven app is just for people who don't know it. But the codings are usually on the obdeleven forums, just may require time.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I was told that obdeleven is actually free, as long as someone knows how to code.

The one button coding apps that come with the obdeleven app is just for people who don't know it. But the codings are usually on the obdeleven forums, just may require time.

I thought it costs like $59 for the basic setup.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
I've had this happen on one or two rare occasions trying to get my car on ramps to do an oil change. Seems to be a very strange/uncommon scenario where the hill isn't steep enough to trigger hill hold, but is steep enough to require more than just idle throttle to maintain its forward momentum.

It's basically the DSG engaging the clutch to move forward, but then realizing the hill is steep and there's a chance to bog or stall the engine without more throttle. The DSG then dumps to neutral as a failsafe, and tries again to engage. Rinse and repeat.

I doubt there's anything wrong with your DSG if it hasn't thrown any codes or errors. What I'd recommend next time you're starting on a hill is to hold the brakes and lightly/slowly release the brake pedal until you see and hear the engine RPM raise a bit. This should gradually slip the clutch instead of it "dumping" all of a sudden. Then feed in some throttle and you're on your way.

heydabop

Passed Driver's Ed

Everything is also "built-in" to OBDeleven for $78 total if you just buy pro.

$48 adapter - https://obdeleven.com/en/home/10-49...l_options-without_easy_remove_extraction_ring

$30 pro unlock - https://obdeleven.com/en/home/11-pro-pack.html

The customer support (although I've only needed it once) from Voltas has been good too.

peppy2

Ready to race!
I'm the 2nd owner and don't really know what's been "modified" in terms of electronically.

Its at 13k miles, and i don't think any errors flashed on the dash. It just did it on its own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, So basically what you need to do is take it back to the dealership and have them scan it. Hopefully they are able to pull up the info. With the car being unmodified and only having 13K on it, you have a very good chance that they will replace the transmission free of charge. Do expect a down time of at least a week and hopefully they provide you with a loaner. If the scan show up as the shift module, that takes a half a day.

Last edited:

snakcaz

Ready to race!
Ok, So basically what you need to do is take it back to the dealership and have them scan it. Hopefully they are able to pull up the info. With the car being unmodified and only having 13K on it, you have a very good chance that they will replace the transmission free of charge. Do expect a down time of at least a week and hopefully they provide you with a loaner. If the scan show up as the shift module, that takes a half a day.

I have it at my local vw service right now. We'll see what they say later today