GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is the price to maintain a stage 2 GTI?

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
It blew 4K miles later and they wouldn't cover it? Were you tuned? If not, a call to VWOA may have saved you $4K. I would be PISSED if my car was stock, blew 2 turbos within 4K miles, and they refused to cover it.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you just throw in the is38 the second time?

If it was stock and the dealer said no to warranty work, I'd imagine a good lawyer would be thrilled to take that case.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Guys... He said he's now back to stock. That implies he was not stock when the turbos shit the bed. ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

^ this.

From another thread:

I have to respectfully disagree about not upgrading to the is38. I wish the GTI's came with the is38 and charged the extra $800 or whatever the difference is from the is20. I blew TWO is20's from stage 2 ED tune. I've had many tuned cars and never experienced anything like this. At least from my experience, I plan on keeping my GTI stock until I upgrade to the is38 platform and then get a cobb protune. Just my 2 cents.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I think everyone has chimed in but the most common issues, if any is a blown turbo. Plenty of people have blown turbo with no engine damage as well. Honestly if you're good on maintenance and aren't beating on it constantly and warming up oil to operating temp, etc, I doubt you'll have issues.

rjtrout

Go Kart Newbie
I am looking at upgrading to a APR downpipe, but reading this thread about people blowing turbos is making me rethink that decision. I don't drive hard with exception to a track day or a spirited run through the mountains, but my setup would be following:

APR Turbo Back
APR Turbo Inlet
Forge Inlet Pipe
AFe drop-in filter
United Motorsport tune

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I am looking at upgrading to a APR downpipe, but reading this thread about people blowing turbos is making me rethink that decision. I don't drive hard with exception to a track day or a spirited run through the mountains, but my setup would be following:

APR Turbo Back
APR Turbo Inlet
Forge Inlet Pipe
AFe drop-in filter
United Motorsport tune

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Sounds good to me, don't forget to upgrade the sway bar and the dogbone (also good tire will help a ton) there's plenty of curves ahead! For 5 years I leaved in Denver, it's the most beautiful place ever to leave and to drive

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Did you forget about the snow, hail, ice, pot holes, thin air, sand on roads, magnesium chloride, salt and the daily rain at 3pm followed by a wind storm to dirty your just washed car?

I'm not too impressed myself.

Come to Philly you'll see what I'm talking about.... snow but not sunny, ice, potholes the size of red rock, polluted air, salty roads every where and the most important part, no mountains :(