GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coming home and leaving lights on Golf

idris

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7
So I've been researching but haven't been able to find a definitive answer, and I do know there are many posts on this topic. I have a Golf that doesn't have a rain sensor, and I have recently installed the auto light switch with sensor. Now the question is, will I be able to get the coming home and leaving lights to work properly? I saw another post which stated that the function will only work with cars that already had the sensors installed from the factory. Any idea? I tried to code it with OBDeleven but was unable to get it to work.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
I have the same: auto switch with light sensor, car isn't equipped with rain/humidity sensor.

Light comes on when the light conditions are met. You can adjust how dark when you want the low beams to come on. This only works when the car is running (the ignition at least). If there's no key inserted, the headlights doesn't turn on unlike below.

The car won't automatically turn the headlights on when you just unlock the car though, which is what I originally wanted. You need the rain/humidity sensor for that I believe.

idris

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7
I have the same: auto switch with light sensor, car isn't equipped with rain/humidity sensor.

Light comes on when the light conditions are met. You can adjust how dark when you want the low beams to come on. This only works when the car is running (the ignition at least). If there's no key inserted, the headlights doesn't turn on unlike below.

The car won't automatically turn the headlights on when you just unlock the car though, which is what I originally wanted. You need the rain/humidity sensor for that I believe.

The sensor is doing its job, which I belive you cover in the first part of your answer. And for the second part, you're saying that the coming home and leaving lights will not work regardless. Is that correct?

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
So I've been researching but haven't been able to find a definitive answer, and I do know there are many posts on this topic. I have a Golf that doesn't have a rain sensor, and I have recently installed the auto light switch with sensor. Now the question is, will I be able to get the coming home and leaving lights to work properly? I saw another post which stated that the function will only work with cars that already had the sensors installed from the factory. Any idea? I tried to code it with OBDeleven but was unable to get it to work.

Did you get the OEM sensor or an aftermarket sensor with your switch?

For CH/LH light functions to work properly it must be done with the OEM light sensor.

The euro switch and sensor kit I bought a few years ago at this point had an aftermarket sensor with it. You run it from behind the light switch up to the front of your dash and stick it there. The sensor itself does what it is supposed to do, turn on the headlights at the programmed darkness setting but that's it.

For CH function, I still must click the light stalk. No LH function at all.

This is the product I am referring to for reference... https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Inte...ic-Headlight-Conversion-Kit-MK7-Golf-GTI.html

Last edited:

idris

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7
Did you get the OEM sensor or an aftermarket sensor with your switch?

For CH/LH light functions to work properly it must be done with the OEM light sensor.

The euro switch and sensor kit I bought a few years ago at this point had an aftermarket sensor with it. You run it from behind the light switch up to the front of your dash and stick it there. The sensor itself does what it is supposed to do, turn on the headlights at the programmed darkness setting but that's it.

For CH function, I still must click the light stalk. No LH function at all.

This is the product I am referring to for reference... https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Inte...ic-Headlight-Conversion-Kit-MK7-Golf-GTI.html

I bought the sensor from AliExpress, so it's definitely not OEM. So at this point I assume there's no point in pursuing the feature?

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Yes sorry if I wasn't clear. CH/LH doesn't work unless you have the rain/humidity sensor (needs the windshield too I think?) retrofitted. Sometimes I wish I opted for the trim that had it but oh well...

Like zimmie2652 said, you can manually turn on the coming home by flashing high beams when the ignition is off and you open the door.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Needing the rain/humidity sensor doesn't seem right to me. How would that affect anything light related?

Sorry for the ignorance, just don't see the correlation between the two systems. Unless it's 1 complete unit (rain, light and humidity sensor in one).

I am happy with the unit I purchased so I never looked into the whole retrofit route too much, so not sure of all the specifics.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Yes sorry if I wasn't clear. CH/LH doesn't work unless you have the rain/humidity sensor (needs the windshield too I think?) retrofitted. Sometimes I wish I opted for the trim that had it but oh well...

Like zimmie2652 said, you can manually turn on the coming home by flashing high beams when the ignition is off and you open the door.

Derushi:

I don't intend any offense, but that's not strictly true - sorry!

A Golf mk7 does need the Rain-Light-Humidity-Sensor (RLS, RLHS, RLFS) to operate Leaving Home (because the LH function needs to recognize night-time), but the sensor is NOT needed for Coming-Home (because this function is activated by the driver when inside the car - regardless of the ambient light level).

If you have retrofitted one of those Chinese (Ebay) rotary light switches that have a Light sensor plugged into the back of the switch, then the procedure for enabling LH function is separate entirely to the normal process (because the Chinese light sensor does not connect to the car's CAN network). You will need to set-up LH/CH via the switch itself in this case

Don

idris

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7
Derushi:

A Golf mk7 does need the Rain-Light-Humidity-Sensor (RLS, RLHS, RLFS) to operate Leaving Home (because the LH function needs to recognize night-time), but the sensor is NOT needed for Coming-Home (because this function is activated by the driver when inside the car - regardless of the ambient light level).

If you have retrofitted one of those Chinese (Ebay) rotary light switches that have a Light sensor plugged into the back of the switch, then the procedure for enabling LH function is separate entirely to the normal process (because the Chinese light sensor does not connect to the car's CAN network). You will need to set-up LH/CH via the switch itself in this case

Don

So what would the process be for the coming home lights? I would have to tweak the comfort illumination code, correct?

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Derushi:

Don

Good to know! Thanks Don!

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
So what would the process be for the coming home lights? I would have to tweak the comfort illumination code, correct?

idris: 100% correct!! Here's how the CH bank of channels look for Comfort Illumination if you are using OBD11:

Don

idris

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7
idris: 100% correct!! Here's how the CH bank of channels look for Comfort Illumination if you are using OBD11:

Don

Is there any right way to approach the steps to enable them? Whenever I try to play around with the Comfort Illuminations settings I get the error "Sorry something went wrong" in OBD11

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Any way to get the CH/LH feature to work without the auto light sensors? Can this be circumvented with OBD11? My side mirror puddle lights have CH/LH so I'm wondering if I can get my fogs and tail lights to behave the same way.