GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Transmission Issues

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Sounds like a substandard dealer to me. Mine offers to wash my car even if they only do an oil change or even fix a tire. I think they knew they dinged your door and figured you wouldn't notice if it was dirty. If you complained later you there is no proof. I know dealers that did much worse than that.

Two things to take away from your experience: If you leave yourcar with a dealer for ANYTHING, make sure you and the service writer go over the entire car to check for any damage before and after the car is taken away from you.

Personally, I wait until there is a repeat of a fault before taking it to a dealer. My MKV was "recalled" for a bad Mechatronics unit. I never had it replaced because it only acted up twice in 6 years. Since it had a 10-year warranty there was no hurry.

Anyone who pays $40K for a car but refuses to invest $200 for a diagnostic program is not an enthusiast in my book.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Mine washed my car just because I took it in to ask a question about an electrical component. Lol. I've had the loaner Jetta too... that car kind of sucks compared to the Golf..

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Mine washed my car just because I took it in to ask a question about an electrical component. Lol. I've had the loaner Jetta too... that car kind of sucks compared to the Golf..

When they offer me a loaner I ask for the rattiest one they have, the dirtiest one with the most scrapes and dents. I timed my services to coincide with buying garden and building supplies.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
When they offer me a loaner I ask for the rattiest one they have, the dirtiest one with the most scrapes and dents. I timed my services to coincide with buying garden and building supplies.

I'm dreading going back to the dealer because they didn't fix my sunroof cover issue with it sliding backwards on its own; I don't want to drive that dumb jetta for another week!

Xminka

Sounds like a substandard dealer to me. Mine offers to wash my car even if they only do an oil change or even fix a tire. I think they knew they dinged your door and figured you wouldn't notice if it was dirty. If you complained later you there is no proof. I know dealers that did much worse than that.

Two things to take away from your experience: If you leave yourcar with a dealer for ANYTHING, make sure you and the service writer go over the entire car to check for any damage before and after the car is taken away from you.

Personally, I wait until there is a repeat of a fault before taking it to a dealer. My MKV was "recalled" for a bad Mechatronics unit. I never had it replaced because it only acted up twice in 6 years. Since it had a 10-year warranty there was no hurry.

Anyone who pays $40K for a car but refuses to invest $200 for a diagnostic program is not an enthusiast in my book.

Yea it could be a substandard dealer I'll note it for anything future, and the main reason I didn't wait is well A. Its my first car and with a warranty I said fuck it I don't want to sit on it until my 10k service then they see oh you shoulda brought this in when it happened now its on you or some BS like that. And I just had the mind set that it was something electrical and fixed easy because it drove fine afterwards so I didn't think it was going to be a month ordeal.

mookieblaylock

Ready to race!
My 2017 dsg gti does this thing only for the first few miles when it's cold. When you slow down to a stop the dsg downshifts and it feels like a muffled vibration coming from the front end. Did your car do this?

Xminka

My 2017 dsg gti does this thing only for the first few miles when it's cold. When you slow down to a stop the dsg downshifts and it feels like a muffled vibration coming from the front end. Did your car do this?

No I never felt anything like that, Mine was very noticeable, felt like it dropped from 4th (which is were I was cruising in traffic) into neutral so when I touched the gas all it did was rev. and then when coming to a complete stop it decided to peg the throttle wide open for a good 2 seconds. I never had any kind of indication before hand or anything. And it was not cold I had been driving for a solid 30 min before hand.

Is yours when your coming to a full stop, so like when it goes 2nd into 1st? or all the way down through your gears it has a muffled vibration?

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Wut? It's under warranty, why would you bother diagnosing it yourself? Not to mention the fact Diggs posted the most likely reason why. If he got a notification about the transmission on the dash that's pretty much a dead give away. He's just trying to make sure the dealer isn't pulling his leg about a transmission issue.

That being said I guess it's time to check the fill level of my DSG. I do about 2 DSG services a week and boy they are a pain in the ass until you get the rotation down.

Edit: Oh I get it, he is the only one with a 2017 DSG and the only person to ever complain about this issue, so how would dummies with no knowledge outside of what they read while on the shitter be able to help out. Totally pick up what little you are putting down. You should probably just stop posting because you embarrass yourself every time you do post. Although like every 10 to 20 posts you do actually say something correct or helpful. You do have an R so I'm sure you just don't give a shit about us GTI's.

2nd Edit: To add something to the conversation, they have to reach out to VWoA to see how VW wants to cover this issue. Replacing the unit with a rebuilt one or a brand new one. Since you are under warrenty it is VW themselves fronting the repair cost, not the dealership. So the dealership has to check and see what VW wants them to do, completely normal.

The Fed is a troll. Shocking he hasn't been banned.

Xminka

So last update, Finally after a month of dealing with this I have my car back. Brand new transmission, newly painted door (from them hitting it on their lot) and hopefully a check coming in the mail soon for one payment on the vehicle! So all and all yea sucked not having my car for a month but just glad it happened at 5k miles and not after the warranty ended lol. So all and all just happy to have my car back and its driving well! If it happens again I will be sure to let everyone know and buy a lotto ticket haha

tknj99

Ready to race!
Just for shits and giggles, i'd be interested in what the cost was to replace the transmission, generally noted on the service docs provided.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Just for shits and giggles, i'd be interested in what the cost was to replace the transmission, generally noted on the service docs provided.

Last quote I got from a dealer in 2009 was $7,000 for a DSG. I don't know if that were for a new one or a rebuilt one. I would like to think the OP is getting a new one but there is no requirement for VW to do that.

SD11

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE DSG
Last quote I got from a dealer in 2009 was $7,000 for a DSG. I don't know if that were for a new one or a rebuilt one. I would like to think the OP is getting a new one but there is no requirement for VW to do that.

I would argue that he should be getting a crate trans under the circumstances. You could spin it into a lemon law claim pretty easily. Not that VW cares much. I wondered what the whole VIN specific claim was about, could be true, but again, master criminals at VW anything could happen.

mookieblaylock

Ready to race!
Is yours when your coming to a full stop, so like when it goes 2nd into 1st? or all the way down through your gears it has a muffled vibration?

Brand new transmission almost worth waiting the month for, better it comes from the factory than a local dub dealer. My car is definitely a little off going from 4 3 2 1 in auto coming up to a stop sign, it goes away after it warms up. It needs to go in for the nav update so if i have to i'll pay to have them check dsg fluid level.