GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Windshield chipped

rafikiraf

Ready to race!
Was driving back home today and got hit by rock. Windshield now has chip and spider web in size of 1.5 to 2 inch in diameter. Crack is in lower central portion of windshield. Should I replace or repair. And should I use safelite or vw dealership. What are your thoughts guys. My deductible is 500.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
$500 is the price of the whole whindshield. Unless it afects your visibility take it to a glass place, they can put glue in the chip so it doesn't spread.
If you decide to change the whindshield don't get the insurance involve, it won't be cheaper and your monthly deductible will increase.

N2fastcars

Ready to race!
Was driving back home today and got hit by rock. Windshield now has chip and spider web in size of 1.5 to 2 inch in diameter. Crack is in lower central portion of windshield. Should I replace or repair. And should I use safelite or vw dealership. What are your thoughts guys. My deductible is 500.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was in the same boat last November. I went with the factory glsss even though it was more expensive. I have a 500 deductible also.

wantone

Ready to race!
Nice to live in a state where glass is zero deductible, especially considering how many windshields I've gone through in the past few years.

Yes my car is registered in SC as well so it's a freebie. Got one the other day on my Ford. But don't they have a limit to how many are free? I had a tiny crack but a hot car wash ruined the whole damn thing. 140 degree water will expand any crack no matter how small. The other issue is this car is known for a weak windshield isn't it? I thought it was very common. And hasn't been fixed for years. Not sure why VW cheaps out here.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
Go with the dealer or any reputable local glass shop with OEM glass.
Any crack that penetrated the middle layer with star shaped crack will spread.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Just happened to me this week. I don't recommend you use safelite if you end up replacing it. See my current problem here http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34181

Safelite completely butchered my first windshield replacement. Huge national company with a few good techs, and a lot of butchers. Stay the hell away - find a local indy guy with awesome reviews. And use OEM glass.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If it can be repaired that's what I would do. Don't wait. I used Berger Collison & Glass. I don't know if they're nationwide. But it really depends on the individual technician. Ask your insurance company. Mine guaranteed the repair for life if I used the one they contracted with. Then I called the shop and told the foreman I was very particular. They sent their best guy. One tip: throw a rag over the defroster vents to make sure no glass chips get in there. And always use OEM glass. When you trade your car the dealers look for the VW markings in the corner of the glass. They will assume you had an accident if you don't. I asked my company if I could pay the difference for OEM glass since I had no deductible. They said I can request they pay for OEM glass. So I did, and they did. I made sure my premiums wouldn't be affected. I think they look at your claim and payment history to decide if they will pay. If not, just pay the shop the difference, if there is one.

Last edited:

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
The criterion for repair vs. replace is whether the cracked area is smaller or bigger than a quarter. You are clearly in the replace category.

Re who to do the job, I agree with the previous poster about Safelite (and probably other chains). I had a small star crack repaired, and the guy did a decent job. However I had to point out to the shop that there was an area of their floor, right where everyone had to drive over to get inside, covered in broken glass. Their shop was also dirty and poorly lit. No way I'd go back there. But later I stumbled on another Safelite shop in my area that looks much better.

I'd be inclined to go for an independent. I've also heard good reports about using the mobile glass guys that come to your house or office.

Neil