GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW approved tuning

Derassassin

Passed Driver's Ed
Just spoke with my dealer for service, and my rep mentioned that VW approved some "stage 1" items that may be coming?

Has anyone heard anything about this? Im quite skeptical, but would love some VW performance parts!

Never take salesmen seriously. Actually VW approves nothing but:

- factory options such as Performance Pack for GTI (and R on Euro spec 7.5 facelift)
- Volkswagen's own Driver Gear stuff (springs, mufflers, spoilers depending on market)

It's to your Dealer turning a blind eye to additional mods.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
In the states, some dealers offer an apr plus tune, it doesn't have the power of a stage 1 tune, but is covered by a 3rd party warranty. If done, your vw drivetrain warranty is voided and replaced by this 3rd party drivetrain warranty, basically it eliminates vw from the equation on all drivetrain warranty claims. How good is the aftermarket warranty??? Remains to be seen, but the plus tune, is hardly worth the $$$ or piece of mind, for the weak performance imo

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Oh, and by the way, the APR+ warranty is voided if: ". . . Your Vehicle has had anyunauthorized modifications or alterations following the Effective Date of this limited warrant. Authorized modification is limited to APR+ ECU/ECM software and calibration data update. Unauthorized modifications include emissions and/or exhaust system modifications, engine modifications, transmission modifications, and/or drive axle modifications, which includes any performance modification." So if you plan on doing anything else on your car, you may as well just get a regular APR tune where you get much more of a boost for a fraction of the cost.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
And it costs $2,000.

Anybody would have to be a fool to buy this. And good luck getting a warranty claim paid when the engine grenades - there are more gotchas in the fine print than in those bogus aftermarket warranties sold on late night TV.

Then again, these forums are riddled with knuckleheads who will throw money at Chinese headlights that blind oncoming traffic, hot-air intakes that decrease performance, wheels whose weight resembles a boat anchor, and other mindless garbage.. so it's no wonder something like this is offered, as ridiculous as it might be to actually purchase it.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You might as well buy a Dinan piggyback for $299. It only makes up to 4 PSI over, about as much as the APR+, and you can take it off for warranty work.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Got a APR STAGE 1 tune from my VW dealer. Got it in writing that if it causes any problems, they will warrantee the damage!

APR stage 1 and not APR plus? I am really surprised they wrote you a contract. How much $?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
APR stage 1 and not APR plus? I am really surprised they wrote you a contract. How much $?

No tuner anywhere will give you a warrantee for their Stage 1 (or above). In fact, APR dealers make you sign that you recognize they are NOT responsible for any damage. If he has one I would love to see it.