GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CS and CSS vs PP diff

Moff2

Passed Driver's Ed
I've recently changed from a mk7 GTI PP, to a mk7.5 GTI. There was no mention of a PP when I ordered the new one, so it's just a GTI.
Recently had an APR stage 2 map, and the car has been totally transformed. It's pretty savage now. I've just been to the Nurburgring with it last month, and was really struggling to put the power down (coming out of some corners trying to pick the wheels up in 3rd)
Does anyone know if the Mk7 PP LSD, is the same one that is used in the Clubsports, as I feel I really need a diff now.
I don't know what the CS uses, and I'm struggling to find one online listed for a mk7 GTI, but I have come across a couple of mk7 GTI PP gearboxes for sale, complete with locking diffs, for a reasonable price.

B95zP

Ready to race!
First I think you need to confirm if you have the VAQ or not. Do your front break calipers say GTI? If so that usually indicates you have the VAQ, or at least here in the US it does.

Beyond that I believe the CS, CSS, & PP all share the same parts, but with different programming. Programming which I don't think anyone has figured out yet.

VAQ = 7.0 PP diff = 7.5 PP diff = CS diff = CSS diff = Cupra diff

Same hardware, just minor SW tweaks (which are not worth losing sleep over).

However gearboxes are different between PP and CS/Cupra due to different gearing.

I'd go with a pure mechanical Torsen diff and fit it along with swapping the clutch
which you'll need to do anyway at stage 2. Quaife, Peloquin, Wavetrac, it's up to you.

First I think you need to confirm if you have the VAQ or not. Do your front break calipers say GTI? If so that usually indicates you have the VAQ, or at least here in the US it does.
EDIT: HE said he has no PP unfortunately.

Last edited:

B95zP

Ready to race!
I said he has no PP unfortunately.

Or rather he said...

I've recently changed from a mk7 GTI PP, to a mk7.5 GTI. There was no mention of a PP when I ordered the new one, so it's just a GTI.

Because there was no mention of a PP doesn't mean there isn't one. We don't know the tier or specs of the 7.5, simply that it's a GTI. Which is a tad vague honestly, I mean how do you not know what you bought. :confused:

Last edited:
Or rather he said...
this (pardon me, a typo)

Because there was no mention of a PP doesn't mean there isn't one. We don't know the tier or specs of the 7.5, simply that it's a GTI. Which is a tad vague honestly, I mean how do you not know what you bought. :confused:
He said, there was no mention about PP at the time when he placed his order.
The 7.5 PP came four mounths later which you can't be familar with across the
pond. However I think he does know about which car he bought, although it's
been a bit misleading.

Moff2

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry for any confusion.
Yes, there was no mention of a PP 7.5 when I was ordering it, so I didn't get a PP. i know they're out now though.
I just have one of the first of the 7.5 GTIs. The one that came with no front fogs :rolleyes:
Am I right in thinking that it's an 02Q transmission I have?

ucfquattroguy

Go Kart Newbie
breaking badly: care to elaborate on the software differences? Is it just some coding that can be manipulated with VCDS? I'm curious how the behavior of the VAQ differs between a PP car and CSS car.

I just have one of the first of the 7.5 GTIs. The one that came with no front fogs
I don't miss old-fashioned fogs. Very most higher performance cars use to not have them,
and so does my Clubsport (and the 7.5 PP we have sitting in the garage), however both
have the optional adaptive lighting, which is great on my CS (Xenon) and even better on
the 7.5 (LED), probably making fogs even more superfluous.

Am I right in thinking that it's an 02Q transmission I have?
That's right if you don't have DSG. Basically the same as on Mk5 and Mk6 GTIs, the Clubsport
and Clubsport S and Leon Cupras. As a hint, CS, CSS and Cupra have a slightly shorter gearing.

breaking badly: care to elaborate on the software differences? Is it just some coding that can be manipulated with VCDS? I'm curious how the behavior of the VAQ differs between a PP car and CSS car.
I will try to find out IF and HOW differently VAQ performs on both my Clubsport and on
my girlfriend's 7.5 PP. I doubt it's tremendous, but I'll try doing a fair comparison when
I have the time. I even do know an guy owning a CSS, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to
manage a qualified comparison. Again, I still doubt it's worth losing sleep over it, as the
hardware's exactly the same.
Remember there are several settings as part of the driver profile selection anyway.

;)

ucfquattroguy

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks, breaking. Given the cross-pollination of hardware that's going around here, it wouldn't surprise me if it's a matter of swapping some of the long-coding (if it's not already been translated by Ross-Tech and available in drop-downs).

As far as menu options, the USA PP cars just have "Normal" and "Sport" for the differential settings. From what I understand, the CSS cars have three settings on the menu.

I forgot to mention that I'd have to swap wheels on the two respectively three cars, as
the PP is running factory 17" Bridgestone Turanza T-001 crap, the CS is on 18" PSS and
the CSS obviously on PS Cup 2s. Apples and oranges. Now you'll guess why I didn't do it
so far . . . .

I wouldn't expect wonders just from VAQ settings. I'm sure the CSS' main performance
gains are achieved by using Cup semi rubber, more camber and to a lesser degree by the
added power and the weight savings (of which most is attained by the limited equipment).
The stiffer bushings help keeping camber more constant under cornering load, which means
it's more camber exactly when you need it. There's plenty of other, perhaps minor stuff,
e.g. stiffer engine mounts, strut braces, subframe and so on, and it'd be hard to assess
its contribution to the overall performace.
After all the CSS is actually more specific than the CS is, at least from a technical stand-
point, while the CS is basically a PP with an IS38 engine. It's easy to get fooled by the
misleading fact that the CS and CSS look almost the same.

For that reason, if you want better performance I'd recommend to swap tires, bushings
(which are cheap) and front swivels first. Without decent tires you'll never get a decent
traction. When you add power and torque or use to drive hard, don't miss fitting stiffer
engine mounts (wheel hop and shift feel both are severely affected by engine slop).

;)

Last edited:

btscott

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks, breaking. Given the cross-pollination of hardware that's going around here, it wouldn't surprise me if it's a matter of swapping some of the long-coding (if it's not already been translated by Ross-Tech and available in drop-downs).

As far as menu options, the USA PP cars just have "Normal" and "Sport" for the differential settings. From what I understand, the CSS cars have three settings on the menu.

USA PP cars with DCC have 4 settings. "Comfort", "Normal", "Sport" and "Individual".

Last edited:

ucfquattroguy

Go Kart Newbie
USA PP cars with DCC have 4 settings. "Comfort", "Normal", "Sport" and "Individual".

Was referring to the differential itself, sorry.

My '16 is an SE and no DCC. I believe you could get it on the SEs, but had to specifically order it. So, my standard options are Normal/Sport for the diff, lights, steering, and throttle response. However, in the Individual menu, the differential itself only has Normal/Sport.

Last edited: