GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Video of camber plate noise -- is this normal?

C vinson

[Edit: It isn't normal, was due to an install issue, will post more about it further down!]

Had some Ground Control camber plates installed to improve my track day contact patch. They definitely worked in that sense; I have before / after pyrometer tests saying that -2.5 front camber is ideal.

Unfortunately, they are super loud. Every small bump results in a loud metal on metal rattle.

Here is a video: https://youtu.be/fJ8U7UlK6pE .

It was so loud I had my car towed back to the installer thinking that something was loose. They confirmed that everything is to spec, and they have the same noise issues with Integrated Engineering camber plates (which they sell). This is the best VW garage in Montreal, they have a race team, etc. They know what they're doing, I trust them.

Is this normal? Others in the forum said that additional NVH is minimal. I'm about to remove them, but other options to add camber may add other issues...

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
That almost sounds like there is clearance between the bearing in the plate and the top of the shock rod, and the rod is flopping around as you go over bumps. Horrible NVH if it isn't an assembly issue, though I did your posts in the other thread about the shop that installed it and your faith in them.

Send that video to Ground Control and get their feedback IMO.

C vinson

Thanks for your reply. I did contact them, waiting for a reply.

If it helps, I've tracked the car since the install, and it feels 100% solid. There was no noise on the track either - just on bumps/ruts in the road, of which there are a lot in Montreal...

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Let us know what you hear from them. If that's what people complain about for NVH with camber plates it is pretty unlivable for most I'm sure. Thanks for posting, keep us updated!

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for your reply. I did contact them, waiting for a reply.

If it helps, I've tracked the car since the install, and it feels 100% solid. There was no noise on the track either - just on bumps/ruts in the road, of which there are a lot in Montreal...

Interesting, so none of that clunking noise on the track?

When ordering the Camber Plates on Ground Control's website, there are several options including Brand of Shock/Strut and inner spring diameter.

https://groundcontrolstore.com/collections/volkswagen/products/vw-mk7-camber-caster-plates

Perhaps the wrong options were selected when the camber plates were ordered?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Interesting, so none of that clunking noise on the track?

When ordering the Camber Plates on Ground Control's website, there are several options including Brand of Shock/Strut and inner spring diameter.

https://groundcontrolstore.com/collections/volkswagen/products/vw-mk7-camber-caster-plates

Perhaps the wrong options were selected when the camber plates were ordered?
I saw the strut brand option and thought the same thing. Maybe bearing thickness or spacers for threaded length of the strut rod. Maybe even rod diameter. Interested to know what happens.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Volkswagen MK7 Camber Caster Plates
The Ground Control STREET/TOURING plate, a special version of our camber/caster plates, toned down for dual-purpose cars. These plates use a proprietary upper spring perch. A work of art, carved from a single piece of billet aluminum. That is the only way to describe this new street camber plate from Ground Control.
This is the part number for MKVII, and slides to allow camber and caster adjustment, as well as access to adjustable struts! Fits entirely within stock sheetmetal with no cutting or trimming, and is adjustable from the stock CENTERLINE to 19mm inward. There is NO CHANGE in ride height, and NO LOSS OF SUSPENSION TRAVEL. An oversize American central bearing to reduce flex, yet using a waterproof German steering bearing which is rebuildable (unlike the stock parts) for smooth steering.
**The included Ground Control nut must be used with these camber plates!**

The above was taken from the previous posts linked page. The last sentence in their disclaimer may need to be checked on your install.

AR11

Ready to race!
Oh my god that clunking is unbearable. I'd bet its the top nut. You need to use the one they provide and get it pretty damn snug

C vinson

Thanks for the feedback. It would be weird if the garage didn't use a nut that was provided. I'll check that in the morning.

Re: brand of shock/strut, I did confirm my setup (OEM + VWR springs) when ordering.

C vinson

So, I resolved the issue with the Ground Control camber plates, for those who are considering them.

On the driver side, the top nut was rubbing against the top of the chassis. It was pretty clear when we disassembled the top of the camber plate -- the corners of the nuts were worn shiny where they were in contact. The result was that over time it kept unscrewing itself, creating the loose rattle.

To fix it, we made a larger opening in the chassis, so that the nut is fully exposed. Now it won't rub, but also it gives full access to the top of the camber plate if needed in future.

They are now pretty well as quiet as OEM. Trevor from Ground Control was very responsive with the issue. I would highly recommend their products if you're looking to track your R and want to increase your tire life.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
So, I resolved the issue with the Ground Control camber plates, for those who are considering them.

On the driver side, the top nut was rubbing against the top of the chassis. It was pretty clear when we disassembled the top of the camber plate -- the corners of the nuts were worn shiny where they were in contact. The result was that over time it kept unscrewing itself, creating the loose rattle.

To fix it, we made a larger opening in the chassis, so that the nut is fully exposed. Now it won't rub, but also it gives full access to the top of the camber plate if needed in future.

They are now pretty well as quiet as OEM. Trevor from Ground Control was very responsive with the issue. I would highly recommend their products if you're looking to track your R and want to increase your tire life.
Glad to hear that it got resolved.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

AR11

Ready to race!
I'm a bit confused by the explanation you give because although I can see how the top nut could contact the chassis I wouldn't expect the nut to be moving around (hence creating the knocking/clunking) when the plate is bolted on via the 3 studs.

Was part of the explanation that the plate wasn't seated correctly because the nut contact was preventing the plate from sitting flush against the chassis? in this scenario I guess I can see how movement could result. I hope the chassis didn't get too butchered - at least it is covered by the plastic trim.

C vinson

I'm a bit confused by the explanation you give because although I can see how the top nut could contact the chassis I wouldn't expect the nut to be moving around (hence creating the knocking/clunking) when the plate is bolted on via the 3 studs.

Was part of the explanation that the plate wasn't seated correctly because the nut contact was preventing the plate from sitting flush against the chassis? in this scenario I guess I can see how movement could result. I hope the chassis didn't get too butchered - at least it is covered by the plastic trim.

I'm really not sure.

I watched as they took out the whole camber plate on the noisy side. The top plate was secure, but the large nut definitely loosened itself. It was completely quiet after the initial install, but got noisier over time. So the loose nut seems to be the culprit.

The larger opening is as clean as OEM. They used a Dremel to make a perfect larger circular opening. They didn't charge me for this additional work. I would assume that if it was just an issue with seating the plate they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of making a larger opening in the chassis, painting it, etc.

I've done 3 full track days since they did the work and it is still quiet. Whoevers fault this is (the camber plates, the garage), I'm very happy with the results.

typeone

Ready to race!
The larger opening is as clean as OEM. They used a Dremel to make a perfect larger circular opening. They didn't charge me for this additional work. I would assume that if it was just an issue with seating the plate they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of making a larger opening in the chassis, painting it, etc.

this is great to hear that making the opening larger doesn't affect the structural integrity. i've been thinking of doing this to gain access to the camber plates on my BC coilovers. would be nice to adjust without taking the whole assembly out.

if you have a pic of how large they went with the opening, i'd appreciate it. thanks.