GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Firestone Indy 500 tire.

cW6mT mKviGTi

Ready to race!
Don't quote me on it but i think i read of an older indy 500 firehawk that was discontinued years ago and i think these are the new revised model.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
I was told by a Firestone shop guy that Firestone discontinued the firehawk Indy 500. Not sure if it's true or not

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hmm . . . I spoke to a Tire Rack rep approximately a month ago and he didn't mention anything about it being discontinued. The common tire sizes for our cars (225/40/18, 235/40/18, 235/35/19) are out of stock because a lot of people are buying them. If you look at other tire sizes, they are still in stock and available. The guy just didn't know when they would be back in stock but he did anticipate getting more eventually.

They have good grip. Sidewall a bit softer than I prefer. Overall decent tire for the $$$.
Yeah, I spoke to someone else that also has these and he said pretty much the same thing. It's a good looking tire too. Can't wait to try them out. Anything is going to be better than the stock A/S tires that came with the car. haha

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Hmm . . . I spoke to a Tire Rack rep approximately a month ago and he didn't mention anything about it being discontinued. The common tire sizes for our cars (225/40/18, 235/40/18, 235/35/19) are out of stock because a lot of people are buying them. If you look at other tire sizes, they are still in stock and available. The guy just didn't know when they would be back in stock but he did anticipate getting more eventually.

Yeah, I spoke to someone else that also has these and he said pretty much the same thing. It's a good looking tire too. Can't wait to try them out. Anything is going to be better than the stock A/S tires that came with the car. haha
This!

I've actually have been running a set of Nokian WRG3 tires on my car since November. They seem to have better wet traction then the OEM tires had in the dry :eek:

I haven't been able to decide which summer wheels to go with yet. so summer tires have been put on hold for now.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Welp, I caught yet another screw in my tire (drive through construction effing every day) and Firestone had to replace it... except Firestone Roadhazard doesn't cover full replacement of the tire, they pro-rate it based off of tread life. What kind of BS is that? (EDIT: I suppose that's fair, just doesn't compare to TireRack's roadside hazard that replaces the tire 100% regardless of treadlife) So it still cost me $90 for a new tire and another $20 for more roadside assistance.

The only slightly redeeming part is that they applied that pro-rate to a 2nd tire since they recommended replacing two (my tires are at 5/32 and new one would be 10/32), so I got two new tires for $180, but then another $20 each in new roadside hazard protection, $5 labor, $18.70 tax. So... $246 for two new tires with roadside hazard "protection."

I mean, it's better than having to buy a new tire outright, but it's nothing like Tirerack's no-hassle replace your tire completely and you just pay shipping.

Anyway... just a bit annoyed, I didn't know Firestone's Roadside Hazard was pro-rated. My fault. At least I have 2 new tires up front that might even balance out and wear down to 2 or 3/32s by the time the rears do since the fronts seem to wear twice as fast at the track :D

Never again, Firestone...

Last edited:

BRod

I put a set of Indy 500's on last October, took them off shortly after for the snow tires, reinstalled the Indy 500's in mid March, now the rear tires are bald, shot. I had no idea I could go through a set of (rear) tires in 7,500 miles. Granted if I'd rotated them at 4,000 I could have pushed the entire set to 12k (not 15k - they'd be bald by then).

The Indy's had nice dry grip, and so-so wet grip. Nice tire for $100, but my local Firestone guy said they've been discontinued.

The fronts are still in great shape. The rears will now be Conti DWS 06's.

So I'm wondering if this is normal for this car: 12k miles on summer tires with city/hwy driving only occasionally aggressive with cornering speeds on cloverleafs and such.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
That's pretty strange, maybe they're no good being stored in the cold..? No clue. I mean I'm at 5/32 after around 6k miles and 5 or 6 track days and a few AutoX events... If it weren't for track/AutoX I'd still expect them to be 7 or 8/32 or so

awa

Definitely should have read the mk7 forums before I spent the whole day calling for these lol. I should have bought these when I had the chance 8 months ago. But what can you do. I got the bfgoodrich sport comp 2s instead. Installed tomorrow.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
So you wore out your rear tires in 7500 miles on a FWD car? How!?

We're talking even wear across the tread or camber/toe wear? Is your car lowered, and has it been aligned recently?

I've got 20k on my OEM Bridgestones on the R and I'm wearing a bit more in the front than my rears, but not by much. Seems to me there is something causing that wear, Indy's are a UHPS tire, but they aren't that soft IMO.

erikweber321

Ready to race!
These tires 100% saved my life today on a windy mountain road when another car came flying into my Lane. I hard swerved and corrected and left the incident without a scratch. Esc grabbed a hold and didn't let me lose control at all.

Amazing fucking tire I'd bet my life on it, even against dumb assholes texting and driving coming 33%% into your lane

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
These tires 100% saved my life today on a windy mountain road when another car came flying into my Lane. I hard swerved and corrected and left the incident without a scratch. Esc grabbed a hold and didn't let me lose control at all.

Amazing fucking tire I'd bet my life on it, even against dumb assholes texting and driving coming 33%% into your lane

Good story.
Glad the car/tires helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
I'm at 7/32 on rear tires and like 4-5/32 on front after 12k miles including 7 drag strip visits and some hooning. I run the car daily at 400+wtq. No tire noise yet even though the fronts got slightly harder but that helps with turn in. Quite surprisingly the front wear is equal with open diff(non-PP).

I'm happy with them but like everything else I want to try a different tire from Kuhmo and see how it compares.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

erikweber321

Ready to race!
Looks like 3-4mm deep. Is this cracking from cold weather or did I just eat something up that dug in?? Think this is unsafe? In NY I haven't seen temps lower than night time 55 degrees yet. What are your thoughts

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Looks like 3-4mm deep. Is this cracking from cold weather or did I just eat something up that dug in?? Think this is unsafe? In NY I haven't seen temps lower than night time 55 degrees yet. What are your thoughts

I vote tear over Crack.
Road Hazzard.
In the shoulder area it likely is OK.
Have inspected. If not cut up to belts then likely OK.
If cut to belt, water can get in to wire and start rust. Rust leads to separation over time.

afman916

Ready to race!
Question - thinking of going with these guys on my new Konig Hypergrams 18x8.5 et43. Thoughts on best size(s) for mainly (>95%) DD with a few track days sprinkled in?