GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 GOLF R ALARM QUERY

GEORLEAH

Good morning , my first post on the forum so hi to all , I am buying a Golf R Monday week and already having had my 2012 GTI stolen I am not going to let that happen to this one . What security measures would you advise to stop the car being stolen , I have heard of Ghost but its not insurance approved so what systems are out there please. Much appreciate the help and advice .

MikeB

Passed Driver's Ed
2012 is very different to 2015, new safety alarm. What you can do is buy an aftermarket alarm with a 2 step verification, this way they can never start it.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
OP; Breaking into the car owner's home and stealing the car keys seems to be becoming more common, so equally important is to ensure your home security is up to scratch.

Oh, and make sure you've got GAP insurance too.

Last edited:

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
If they want it they will take it no matter what alarms are on there. Visual deterrents are much better than alarms by far. As said a Disklok is one of the best ones you can get. Also an extending bollard behind/in front of the car to stop them moving it even if they get your keys.

GEORLEAH

Many thanks for the replies its appreciated i am erring toward a Tracker and Ghost , that should stop any attempt " hopefully " safe driving to one and all.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
My heart really goes out to you folks in the UK and the rest of the EU. I've read so many stories of your Rs being stolen. I rely on just the VW alarm system--I don't even have wheel locks on my aftermarket wheels, but even though I live in a major city, car theft doesn't seem to be anywhere as nearly bad here as it is across the pond. That said, I know the Lojack system ("Tracker" in the UK) is popular here. Though the smartest theft defeat approach which I've seen was a fuel cut-off valve installed on a Porsche which would allow the thief to drive maybe 100 yards and then stall after the gas ran out. Good luck with keeping your new baby safe.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
If they want it they will take it no matter what alarms are on there. Visual deterrents are much better than alarms by far. As said a Disklok is one of the best ones you can get. Also an extending bollard behind/in front of the car to stop them moving it even if they get your keys.
True, secure you car best you can and hope for the best. Recently I've heard of motorcycles stolen that had disc (brake) locks, big locks & chains, padlocked to steel rings encased in concrete inside an alarmed garage and one locked to railings covered by CCTV.....

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If someone really wants your ride there's nothing you can do about it. Maybe if you can park it in your living room...

Mceric01

Ready to race!
A lot of times they just drag it on to a flat bed and take off. There isn't much to be done about that. Loud and annoying alarm plus lo jack?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
A lot of times they just drag it on to a flat bed and take off. There isn't much to be done about that. Loud and annoying alarm plus lo jack?

Don't all thieves need to do is drive or drag your car into a metal container like a shipping container on a truck, or a metal building, and the signal can't get out? Possibly even use those metallized "space blankets" to make a cocoon? By the time you realize your car was stolen in the middle of the night they ripped out your $500? Lo-jack. They claim they hide it in your car, but there are only a few places without removing major components and I bet the theft rings know them all. And I bet the overwhelming majority of the ones recovered are teen joyriders not professional thieves. And do you really believe their claims of 90+% recovery when they are the ones supplying the data?

Last edited:

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
No one cares about our car here in the U.S.

We barley get noticed!

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Interesting! But is it completely made of hardened steel? If not, it wouldn't take much to cut through it with a battery-operated saws-all.

A Disklok won't stop the determined professional thief, but it would probably deter the joyriders who're looking for easy pickings; chances are if they see a car with a Disklok fitted, they'll move on to someone else's car that's easier to steal.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
A Disklok won't stop the determined professional thief, but it would probably deter the joyriders who're looking for easy pickings; chances are if they see a car with a Disklok fitted, they'll move on to someone else's car that's easier to steal.

That's what The Club advertised but it only takes 15-20 seconds to cut through the steering wheel with a hacksaw.