GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Noticeable difference after intake

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
True story: Back in the early 80's, a buddy with a built 340 in a Dodge Duster was in his garage with some other buddies, showing off his spiffy new aftermarket air cleaner, complete with aftermarket filter. His dad walks into the garage, leans over to get a look, and opines "a smart fly could find his way in through that thing". Takes a puff off his Pall Mall®, turns, and walks back into the house. Mic drop not necessary.

Fast forward to today - people still throw good money at this crap. Worst bang-for-the-buck "upgrade" you can do for your car. But the loud sucking sounds sure do impress those kids in riced-out Civics that want to race you from every stoplight, so there's that.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Soundaktor ought a drown out both anyway lol

racerboy55

Passed Driver's Ed
No.
No.

If you lose the "snowgrate" and add higher flowing drop in filter and modify the oem inlet into dual inlets, there aren't any appreciable gains other than noise.

Plenty of people have run high to mid 11 second runs on oem air box, and dsg, of course:)

After removing snow grate, I noticed improved spool & improved torque btw 1500-2000rpm. Car also shifts up 200rpm lower than before - improved torque?

schwab0

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW
intake is for sound only ... esp stock. BUT tuned .. yes you'll see a benefit perhaps even registered on the butt dyno.

CDavis7M

Passed Driver's Ed
I was running an AFE dry filter without the snow grate and today I just put the grate and the OEM filter back in. Sounds pretty much the same to me. I think the AFE without the grate is marginally louder with the windows down, but not with the windows up. Of course, no power difference.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
After removing snow grate, I noticed improved spool & improved torque btw 1500-2000rpm. Car also shifts up 200rpm lower than before - improved torque?

I couldn't comment about the lowered shift points. Mine were tuned immediately so the shift points were already adjusted.

And to others, look at the snowgrate, it is a restriction in the intake track, personally I think it's an air silencer anyway, if you're getting snow that far into the intake there are bigger design problems, but anyway, it's a restriction in the intake tract, and a filter is also a restriction in the intake tract, a paper filter more so than a higher flowing/more porous filter. The oem box is NOT a restriction on stock turbo applications!

As any aftermarket cai, loses the snograte, and replaces the factory paper filter with a higher flowing more porous filter, it makes sense to remove it on the oem intake AND replace the paper filter with a higher flowing filter, when going for performance. If both these things are done, the difference between an aftermarket intake and the "modified" oem intake are negligible, performance wise. It's that simple, and it's been proven numerous times by the end customers in their cars measured at the track in times and mph.

Claims aftermarket cai manufacturers make are questionable at best but even if somewhat accurate, they are comparing their intake vs the oem box, paper filter, and snograte restriction left in place. Ever wonder why you never see any manufacturer compare their intake to the oem intake without snograte and a drop in high flow panel filter??? I don't I know the answer, and so do they, which is why they'll never do it and show the results publicly.

Or u can believe the marketing machine selling you fools gold for $300-1500+ Dollars, or you can spend $50 on a filter and throw away the snograte while your changing it.

And to the future smartass who will point out that I'm running a vwr600 intake, per my mods in my signature, I got it for free, so of course I'm running it, my other R 2016 is ecu/tcu UM tuned, drop in K&N filter only with the snograte removed.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Something else to add. Most dyno's on aftermarket intakes are done with the hood open, a situation that doesn't exist in the real world. You don't get to see the loss in power from sucking in hot engine bay air on open element intakes because the hood is up.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Something else to add. Most dyno's on aftermarket intakes are done with the hood open, a situation that doesn't exist in the real world. You don't get to see the loss in power from sucking in hot engine bay air on open element intakes because the hood is up.

Nah this has already been done. watch the mighty car mods video on this, they dyno'd with the hood down. Between the regular stock intake and aftermarket pod style there was no perceivable difference on forced induction cars