GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

paint defect on new car

JamesK2

Loving my new Alltrack, but unfortunately there's a paint flaw (couple of black spots under the clear coat) on the hood near the leading edge. Would this be something that could be fixed under warranty? If I brought it into the dealer, what would they likely do about it?

Attachments

• IMG_4265.JPG
    IMG_4265.JPG
    538.9 KB · Views: 1,191

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Take it in and complain. It's tough to tell what that is in pic. But if it's under the clear then vw is on the hook. The pdi guy at dealership is useless also, but anyway that would be covered, hopefully they sublet to a decent painter/shop

SM075180

Ready to race!
Loving my new Alltrack, but unfortunately there's a paint flaw (couple of black spots under the clear coat) on the hood near the leading edge. Would this be something that could be fixed under warranty? If I brought it into the dealer, what would they likely do about it?

Looks like the machines that paint the bodies accumulated paint on the nozzle for whatever reason and instead of being sprayed thin and evenly dripped a concentrated blob.

Is the area of discoloration raised at all?

I would assume warranty service would mean sending it to a paint shop where they would sand through the clear and repiant to cover the defect followed by a layer of clear coat and then another round of wet sanding/compounding and polishing to match factory gloss.

I used to own a dodge and they were willing to cover paint issues under warranty (in my case paint was applied sparingly and primer was showing through)

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
=The pdi guy at dealership is useless also...

Agree, I have no idea how anyone could miss that. At least document it, if sales decides to accept it regardless it's their problem. How it worked at my dealer was if a defect was found post-pdi and wasn't documented, service paid for it. I failed the paint on every single one because I always found orange peel or a scratch somewhere. Even though the peel is normal/expected it was still a defect in my eyes.

CYA baby.

Good luck getting that fixed!

JamesK2

Yep, it's under the clear coat, although if I run a fingernail over it, there's a slight lumpyness to it. Will contact my dealer and see what they say.

bensonlui

Passed Driver's Ed
I would just live with it and admit you didn't do a full inspection before the keys, I would try all my best stay away aftermarket paint

JamesK2

Ha, my particular combo was so hard to find (color + DA package) that I wasn't going to not take the car for this reason anyway. I was going to live with it, but the more I look at it, the more it bothers me :) Hopefully they can fix it.