GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Optical Parking System Retrofit - Help Required

sc52

Optical Parking System Retrofit - Solved

Scratching my head a bit on this one...

Installed OPS in a MK7 1.2 Tsi, but can't get the control unit to show up using vcds.

I've checked the power is going to the unit, and there is also power from the unit to the switch (centre console), but try as I might I can't get the unit to respond.

I connected the orange and brown can high and low wires to pins 8 and 18, although my instructions, a poor quality black and white copy of the carsystems pdf has 7 and 17 sort of written over the top - however there aren't pins in those locations in the red canbus plug.

Another thing - because the orange and brown wires weren't long enough to get over to the drivers side where the canbus is, I picked up the wires for 8 and 18 at the beige plug in the passenger footwell (tested fine with continuity tester).

So, I'm stumped at the moment and would appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance.

Simon

ps have asked the seller (ebay) the same question - but no response as of yet

Last edited:

sc52

Update.

Took all the plugs apart and re-assembled... and hey presto, the unit has now been found.

I've coded it, but thus far when the vehicle image comes up on the screen it's not accompanied by any sound. Nor is the system automatic ie when placed into reverse I still have to activate the system with the switch.

AD77

Canbus location

I've just purchased the PDC kit from car systems for front & rear sensors, and the instructions aren't great.

Does anyone know the Canbus gateway location in a RHD Mk 7 and also best place to get through to engine bay from the cabin?

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
I've just purchased the PDC kit from car systems for front & rear sensors, and the instructions aren't great.

Does anyone know the Canbus gateway location in a RHD Mk 7 and also best place to get through to engine bay from the cabin?

The gateway should be above the clutch pedal, you can use your camera in your phone for it. will be easier that way

And behind the brake pedal on the firewall there will be some foam, behind that you will see a rubber grommet, you might need to punch a hole through it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

AD77

Cheers for that Reaper, I have now installed all the cabling everything except the canbus connection, as I either need to find the wires I need on the coloured plugs in the passenger footwell or extend the wires over the driver side to pickup the canbus there.

Unfortunately when I re-connected the battery, I now have the following errors:

Error: Stabilisation control (ESC)
ACC and Front Assist not available
Error: TPMS
Error: Auto Hold
Error: Stop/Start system
Pro-Active Passenger Protection not available.

All I did was tap the illumination supply from the ESC switch at the other side of the gear stick for the park assist switch.

Anyone any ideas what might have caused all those to come up?

Cheers

AD77

Cheers for that Reaper, I have now installed all the cabling everything except the canbus connection, as I either need to find the wires I need on the coloured plugs in the passenger footwell or extend the wires over the driver side to pickup the canbus there.

Unfortunately when I re-connected the battery, I now have the following errors:

Error: Stabilisation control (ESC)
ACC and Front Assist not available
Error: TPMS
Error: Auto Hold
Error: Stop/Start system
Pro-Active Passenger Protection not available.

All I did was tap the illumination supply from the ESC switch at the other side of the gear stick for the park assist switch.

Anyone any ideas what might have caused all those to come up?

Cheers

Did a bit of digging and seems to be related to the battery being disconnected, I took it for a 10min drive and everything has now come back on thankfully.

Does anyone know if you can pick up CAN low & CAN high from here?

Attachments

• VW Golf Pic.jpg
    VW Golf Pic.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 1,213

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Did a bit of digging and seems to be related to the battery being disconnected, I took it for a 10min drive and everything has now come back on thankfully.

Does anyone know if you can pick up CAN low & CAN high from here?
yes disconnecting the battery can do that kind of stuff to the car.

you can trace pins 8 and 18 from the gateway and tap into them. i found it easier to take out the pins from the 20 pins connector and connect it to a splitter so i wont have to solder.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk