GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Remove Golf Emblem

eaglekeeper

Passed Driver's Ed
I searched the forum with no luck regarding removing the Golf and possibly TSI emblem from rear hatch. How strong is the adhesive and should the letters be heated up with a blow dryer to soften glue? Car is only 2 yrs old so hopefully there wouldn't be a shadow from the letters remaining. Anyone dealt with this? If anyone has, could you attach a pix of the 'clean' hatch? Thx.

Chronic

Go Kart Champion

Kopfjager

Passed Driver's Ed
Like mentioned. Use the hair dryer or heat gun (on low) and go back and forth over the emblem 3-5 inches away. Fishing line is stronger and won't damage the paint. Just start sawing' it along and the badge will come free. Put a towel on the ground to catch it, in case you want to save it. Depending on how much residue is left on the car, you're gonna need to use a little elbow grease (not always). Polish afterwards. There's always a possibility of some ghosting depending on age of car.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
x3 on what they said (fishing line & a hair dryer/heat gun)

There might be some leftover adhesive still stuck on the car....soften it with the hair dryer/heat gun & you can peel it off with your fingernails

Then use a microfiber towel and some WD40 to clean off the adhesive residue (or another kind of adhesive remover)

Then polish it all out

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Heat it up. Get it nice and warm. If you can get your fingers behind an edge - try and pull on it once it's nice and warm (it's possible it will come right off). Get some fishing line to carefully "slice" through it otherwise. Use WD40 to get any remaining goo once it's gone, then clean/wax the area.

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
Here is a pic of the clean hatch after removing both emblems except I removed mine the second day after purchase.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
another tip I should have mentioned is surrounding the emblem with some masking tape just to be extra careful with the paint while you're working... doesn't hurt. Seeing TJN's pic above makes me want to take the GTI off the back!

eaglekeeper

Passed Driver's Ed
That's an excellent tip with the masking tape. Most cars have the emblems on the rear for identification purposes but I along with other MK7 aficionados know what the car is. Kinda kool cleaning up the clutter back there, too...

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
jfi, those emblems are considered "crash parts" (meaning they are very susceptible to damage in accidents), and consequently they are an obvious source of profit and very expensive to replace. I haven't looked recently, but if memory serves the Golf and GTI plastic emblems are something on the order of $30-$40 each. It's ridiculous. All the more reason to be careful removing them.

Edit: $44; discounted to $26 (plus shipping). https://www.vwpartscenter.net/oem-parts/volkswagen-nameplate-5g08536872zz/?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9ZXh0ZXJpb3ItdHJpbS1saWZ0LWdhdGUmaT05MjczODgwNSZyPTImYT12b2xrc3dhZ2VuJm89Z29sZiZ5PTIwMTcmdD1zJmU9MS04bC1sNC1nYXM%3D

Last edited: