GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Window Switch Rattle Fix

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Sorry I didn't take photos, completely spaced, but for anyone who's got a window switch rattle, this will fix it.

- Take the door panel off, disconnect all the wires - just pull starting at the bottom, the door will pop out, don't pull it far away from the car to avoid damaging any wires.
- Remove the switch housing from the door. You will need a small screwdriver to help pry.
- Remove the switch assembly from the housing. (I used two plastic pry tools)
- Use Tesa tape to go around the bottom of the assembly, just along the clips. I did two layers here. It fills in the gap and doesn't allow the switch to move inside the housing.
- Put the switch assembly back into the housing.
- I then laid a piece of tape across each edge of the outside of the housing, overlapping onto the switch assembly, bonding the two.
- No more rattles.

Last edited:

benena

Passed Driver's Ed
Omg. I just glad someone else mentioned it.

This used to drive me insane with loud bass.

I had to turn the bass down to get around it =P

Nice post.

ABQ

Yes! Yes yes YES! Finally, no more rattling during music! Thank you for this!

My little addition to the fund of knowledge: There are several types of Tesa tape being sold out there. The one you want is p/n 51608. Sorry if this is already common knowledge... I had to figure it out for myself. :)

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Yes! Yes yes YES! Finally, no more rattling during music! Thank you for this!

My little addition to the fund of knowledge: There are several types of Tesa tape being sold out there. The one you want is p/n 51608. Sorry if this is already common knowledge... I had to figure it out for myself. :)

I always just bought the first hit that came up when I searched Amazon for Tesa tape. Has worked fine for me over the years.

kingkhan

Ready to race!
Does anyone have pictures on where to place the tape? I was finally able to track down where my rattle was coming from after it drove me nuts.

Is there anyway we can do this without taking the door panel off?