GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Subframe alignment?

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Are you talking about the front lower frame? Is this not part of alignment? Are you talking about a Tyrolsport bolt kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My subframe is off a bit and I want to even out front camber. I want it centered with a tap and a retighten. Has anyone been successful having this done within the cost of the alignment?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
My subframe is off a bit and I want to even out front camber. I want it centered with a tap and a retighten. Has anyone been successful having this done within the cost of the alignment?

I was going to have the dealer install the Tyrol Sport deadset kit but they said it would prevent them from adjusting the sub frame should they need to during an alignment. I think based on this the dealer would adjust it for you. You might have to discuss the concern and ask that they try to adjust. Might charge more for time but I think they would perform this should you press for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Are you talking about the front lower frame? Is this not part of alignment?
My subframe is off a bit and I want to even out front camber.
Shifting the subframe is part of alignment if front camber isn't sufficiently even.
However, it's still a matter of debate what 'sufficiently even' does actually mean.
Volkswagen allow for huge tolerances unfortunately, say half a degree difference
left/right.
This is way too much for my tastes, I wouldn't accept that much. So if your shop
strictly relys on factory spec you'd need to convince them to align to closer tolerances
(as close as possible). To be fair it's not worth the hassle if there's just 10' (minutes)
= 0.17° difference left and right hand. ;)

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Shifting the subframe is part of alignment if front camber isn't sufficiently even.
However, it's still a matter of debate what 'sufficiently even' does actually mean.
Volkswagen allow for huge tolerances unfortunately, say half a degree difference
left/right.
This is way too much for my tastes, I wouldn't accept that much. So if your shop
strictly relys on factory spec you'd need to convince them to align to closer tolerances
(as close as possible). To be fair it's not worth the hassle if there's just 10' (minutes)

Is this something a shop would charge extra for if out of spec?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
left/right.

So maybe Tyrolsport dead center kit not as risky as I thought?
I know you see no benefit but just wondered about negative impact on an after install alignment. Not being able to align subframe even an issue given manufacturing tolerances used to build car?

That's the point, dude. I have no idea on how close the manufacturing tolerances actually are,
even if the car given is like new and didn't ever hit a single pothole. From guessing, I would say
try it.
If it's worth it? Still not convinced. When I compare the Audi aluminium subframe with the Tyrol
kit, the subframe seems better value by far. Yes, it's even more money, but you get a solid piece
of aluminium instead of just a couple of brass bushings.

;)