GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELIX Soundbox (Like) Upgrade Option for Golf TSI.

erichtn

Passed Driver's Ed
I ordered these parts, as recommended by other forum members:

1K0-803-899-D
1T0-803-899-B

They work fine in my 2017 Sportwagen 4Motion. I have both the sub and the spare secured with the extended bolt and the two nuts (one for the sub and one for the spare).

I will gladly post pictures if I ever get my car back from the dealer (that's a topic for another thread).

pglendinning appreciate the response! pictures would be great indeed!

Just to be perfectly clear:

Did you use this bolt: https://www.vwpartsvortex.com/oem-parts/volkswagen-mount-bolt-1t0803899b/?c=aT05MjgwNjc1NSZyPTI4 (it's the one that other people here used) even though the website says "This part does not fit your 2015 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen" if you picked that year/model?

peterq

Great! Thanks! I just ordered them. I'll report here when I make sure they work fine for the 2015 Sportwagen TDI S.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I put the tire in its stock location, as it is heavier and I prefer the COG to be lowest possible. In addition, to get both to fit in a GTI, you have to remove the rubber feet, so I preferred to have the sub resting on a rubber tire rather than the hard floor of the hatch area with an even heavier object on top. Plus the Helix smooth top finish is kind of sexy when you raise up the hatch floor cover.

x2 on this
Keep the weight lower....the spare weighs more than the Helix.
Plus I wouldn't want the heavier spare putting stress on the Helix box.
Plus putting the Helix on top, it was more stable...especially with the longer screw & nuts holding it down....since it's lighter.

And, lastly, the floor pan of my Passat had ridges and the "feet" on the Helix box weren't sitting on the floor properly.
But on top of the spare, they all make contact with the (spare) tire and it's not going to rattle/move around either.

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Do you think it matters which is on top the sub or the spare? I would think that the sub being on the bottom, in contact with the car would be best. That way it can couple and transfer energy the best.
I tried both the ways, but keeping thr sub at the bottom (with tires on the top) worked the best in terms of acoustics., the beats were more sharp and pronounced.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

erichtn

Passed Driver's Ed
Here are the photos that peterq requested, showing the Helix sub and spare tire mounted in the spare tire well of a Sportwagen 4Motion using the extended bolt mentioned upthread:

* Sub mounted with extended bolt: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mx3l9g49aj5ntvn/IMG_0072.JPG?dl=0

* Detail of bolt: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ybwkj4ahm58hb92/IMG_0073.JPG?dl=0

* Spare tire mounted on top of sub: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jhtd23s6e4rnjcx/IMG_0070.JPG?dl=0

* Detail: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9hhp6nluw3v3ph/IMG_0071.JPG?dl=0

Hope this helps.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie

peterq

Alright! Thanks a lot for the pics, pglendinning!

Looks like the tire valve is facing down onto the soundbox? Is that not an issue? And... I guess the bolt is not long enough to turn the tire the other way.

Hm....

(Still waiting for my bolt to arrive)

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Great pics! Tire on top is what I'd like to do... will need to do some experimenting. Would also like to find a material or fabric to put between the two regardless of the order to keep everything safe.

erichtn

Passed Driver's Ed
The valve is resting on the soundbox but it does not look to me as though it should damage either piece. At any rate, the bolt is not long enough to allow for the tire to be oriented the other way.

Alright! Thanks a lot for the pics, pglendinning!

Looks like the tire valve is facing down onto the soundbox? Is that not an issue? And... I guess the bolt is not long enough to turn the tire the other way.

Hm....

(Still waiting for my bolt to arrive)

MeinGTI1

I am glad to have found this thread! Going to order that longer bolt, remove the feet of the sound box, and feel better about having a spare.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Installed things today. Went very well! Sounds fantastic!

Also installed the longer bolt which works very well. However, the trunk floor doesn't sit flat; it rocks back and forth just enough to be not right. I'll take the spare and sub back out tomorrow and try to get it just right.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
You put the tire on the bottom and used both screws? Huh, mine is rock solid. Hope you get it worked out.

figgy1

Ready to race!
Anybody know where I can pick up the Helix sub for cheapest and have it shipped to Ireland ? Called dealer here who quoted me €505 for it. Complete stealerships over here:eek: Tried around a few sites that were mentioned worldoemparts.com vwpartsvortex.com vwpartsforless.com but none willing to ship to Ireland. Ecstuning do but shipping costs drive it up to Irish VW stealership prices again! There must be some supplier in Europe or Stateside selling the 000051419 for a reasonable sum! Thanks for any help tips in advance all

Last edited:

gopi_rm

Passed Driver's Ed
I have installed the Helix Sub today in my 2016 Golf Estate. Thanks to the videos Part1 and Part2, the installation went smooth. Also used the long bolt solution by securing the sub at the bottom and spare tyre over it upside down. Thanks to the forum guys for this solution.
I still have to code it but already satisfied with the sound output.

Only after installation I have noticed that I missed to install the below (refer attached pic) separator inside the terminal socket. Does it lead to any short circuit in the future?

Another issue is I do not know how to route the cable harness under the rear seat through the additional storage box (golf estate) to the spare wheel well. Please guide me.

Attachments

• Seperator_clip.jpg
    Seperator_clip.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 522
  • Cable_harness.jpg
    Cable_harness.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 528

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
No on the tab above...the wires are in there, but that just locks/secure them in the harness.

It wouldn't hurt to throw it in there though, IMO.

Last edited: