GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I put in the wrong engine oil

Best thing to do is call one of those mobile service people, drain the oil twice!
"Best"? Are you guessing?
With this approach you'd need to swap your oil every 2000 mls.

Drain the dodgy oil, flush with cheapest correct oil, and then fill up with a better quality oil.
Using "cheapest" and "mobile service" at the same time sounds like a joke.

It will cost a bit, but it's worth it!
"Worth it"? In your opinion? Again, just guessing?
By throwing an innocent member into panic you don't do him any favor.

LFTMON

Ready to race!
"Best"? Are you guessing?
With this approach you'd need to swap your oil every 2000 mls.

Using "cheapest" and "mobile service" at the same time sounds like a joke.

"Worth it"? In your opinion? Again, just guessing?
By throwing an innocent member into panic you don't do him any favor.

Bit of an extreme reaction....

I just wouldn't drive the car let alone start it if I did something like this, after spending £30k or there abouts on a car that I'll probably keep for 10 years + it's a small price to pay for a mistake.

I'm just too careful but each to their own..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

surfstar

Ready to race!
For me, I would not do anything; just change at next service internal.

This.

No need to change it. Its not like you contaminated your oil with water or antifreeze. Its a lower quality oil and was only a bit for a top off.

I'd leave it alone. Your engine will be fine. You will never have an oil related issue because you added less than half a quart of SAE 30 to your sump.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
I'm with Surfstar and breaking badly: 300cc of straight 30-weight in a 6 qt sump of 5W-40/0W-40 weight oil is negligible. I wouldn't even consider changing it. Hardily recommend the OP waste a few hours on bobistheoilguy.com researching the miscibility of motor oil weights.

Chad1140

Passed Driver's Ed
Just have it changed at a non-VW shop and save receipt. Use a upgraded oil so that you can get the benefit of something such as liquid molly. Don't ever mention something like used the wrong oil to service, they will likely place that comment in their notes.

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
Chads right. Dont mention it to them period and pick a better oil while youre at it.

Less than 200 bucks for peace of mind. Get a ride to get oil and borrow a pump or whatever you have to do. Drip it out or however you would. Dont run the engine with mixed oil. An expensive risk for not much money.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

surfstar

Ready to race!
Chads right. Dont mention it to them period and pick a better oil while youre at it.

Less than 200 bucks for peace of mind. Get a ride to get oil and borrow a pump or whatever you have to do. Drip it out or however you would. Dont run the engine with mixed oil. An expensive risk for not much money.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Nope. Chad is wrong and so are you.

300-400ml of oil will do no harm to this engine.
This sentence is full of wrong: "Use a upgraded oil so that you can get the benefit of something such as liquid molly."