GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Infotainment, Electronics, Navigation, Phone (Audio / Video / Electronics)

Old 03-21-2017, 09:34 PM   #273
StealthGTI

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettaguy View Post
Just an update, I programmed my helix with the dongle and really didn't notice any improvement to the sound. I think I may have received one of the helixes that were preprogrammed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHen View Post
I had the same exact experience. My soundbox sounds very nice; much improved over stock. Then when I properly programmed it with the dongle (dialed up 57 for 4-dr GTI, pushed in button, got dots then PF), I noticed little, if any, difference.
I concur with these two observations. My sound changed, just not dramatically. That said, I still think this dongle rental thread is a great idea, even if for some it only serves to make sure the job is complete.

Quote:
The most beneficial tweaking of the box after install for me was adjusting the gain screw. I set it at around 75% and it has very nice, deep bass, but not overpowering/clipping.
I hadn't messed with my gain screw. My system sounds good, especially now that my subwoofer system is tweaked. But it's a good reminder to know that the screw is there. I've been contacted by someone who says his Helix sounds terrible above about 30% volume. I wonder if his gain is cranked too high and causing problems. I'll have to contact him to have him tinker with it.

Scott

2017 GTI Sport, 6MT Reflex Silver, KE4WMF
StealthGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:35 PM   #274
BlueHen

Drives: '16 GTI S PP LP 6M 4dr NBM
Stealth, just make sure to use a true eyeglass repair size Phillips screwdriver. The smallest one in my toolbox, while small in its own right, was still too big to turn it. Go to the reading glass section in the pharmacy area at Super Walmart and they sell repair kits for like $1.99.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:57 AM   #275
rawrmcrawrrawr

Drives: 2010 Jetta
Quote:
Stealth, just make sure to use a true eyeglass repair size Phillips screwdriver. The smallest one in my toolbox, while small in its own right, was still too big to turn it. Go to the reading glass section in the pharmacy area at Super Walmart and they sell repair kits for like $1.99.
When you adjusted the gain screw, did you turn it up or down? Do you know what it's set at initially?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
rawrmcrawrrawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:22 AM   #276
BlueHen

Drives: '16 GTI S PP LP 6M 4dr NBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrmcrawrrawr View Post
When you adjusted the gain screw, did you turn it up or down? Do you know what it's set at initially?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
I wasn't able to discern where it was initially. Clockwise adds gain.

Save yourself time by adjusting it with the system playing, preferably something with prominent bass. The change is unmistakable when you are adjusting it. At 40% volume, you can swing from barely any bass to clipping like crazy.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #277
StealthGTI

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
Thanks for the tip. I already have a set of jeweler's screwdrivers. But I think I'll leave the adjustment alone. The system sounds good already. Just nice to know the adjustment is available.

2017 GTI Sport, 6MT Reflex Silver, KE4WMF
StealthGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:46 PM   #278
wy2sl0

Drives: 2016 GTI S
There is no time alignment from the factory. That is the single biggest improvement of SQ with a DSP (this setup). Most people probably don't notice it, but that is the key to somewhat accurate reproduction. I see most people here talking about bass which is not really a factor in SQ.
wy2sl0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:05 PM   #279
crazyivan45

Drives: 2017 Golf S
I received my dongle today and turns out my unit was indeed not set to 57 from the factory. With it reflashed the bass is much punchier and the highs and mids are not as shrill. Very pleased. Mine is also for rent as these things seem to be a rare commodity, PM me for info
crazyivan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:53 PM   #280
CRK DDY J

Drives: 2017 Golf Sportwagen S 4motion
PP7e sub still for sale? (Loan dongle?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbricks View Post
Just a heads up everyone, I'm selling my helix PP7E sub that is plug and play with this box, and won't make you lose your spare tire. I also have the dongle for programming, and I'd be happy to lend it out if you buy the sub.
Trying to reach you, copperbricks, concerning the purchase of the helix PP7e sub, if it is still available. I would also like to borrow the programming dongle as well. I live in western PA so shipping would not be too expensive. I own a 2017 Golf Sportwagen S 4motion and feel the PP7E sub would result in more bass than the helix soundbox sub located where the the spare tire goes.

The other option I am considering is purchasing a PP50DSP on eBay for use with the PP7e sub. I would still need to program this version of the DSP for my vehicle with a Micro SD card. The PP50DSP has a slot for a Micro SD card but no slot for the programming dongle and I am assuming the two DSP's program the same with the one that comes with the soundbox sub being a version with less external controls but the same internal DSP as the full-fledged PP50DSP. I suspect the vehicle specific codes are on the dongle's Micro SD card and I could insert the same card into the slot on the PP50DSP.

Regardless, contact me at jocro54@gmail.com to sell the PP7e if it is still available. Thanks, John

Can pay with PayPal
CRK DDY J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:27 PM   #281
Hotfart

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport 6MT
Dongle received and ready to go down the line.

Curious - what's this little guy? It was in the connection jack on the amp. Haven't given it a real close listen, but it doesn't seem to have an effect on how it sounds.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2017, 10:28 PM   #282
crxgator

Drives: Vans Authentic
It reverses the soundstage for RHD cars if installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helix Soundbox Dongle Rental - $20 + shipping and deposit. PM for details.
crxgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:30 PM   #283
Hotfart

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxgator View Post
It reverses the soundstage for RHD cars if installed.
Thanks! And damn, you're quick. I'll leave it out seeing as how I'm LHD.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:13 PM   #284
Hotfart

Sent to the next in line.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:08 PM   #285
CRK DDY J

Drives: 2017 Golf Sportwagen S 4motion
Rent programmable dongle

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyivan45 View Post
I received my dongle today and turns out my unit was indeed not set to 57 from the factory. With it reflashed the bass is much punchier and the highs and mids are not as shrill. Very pleased. Mine is also for rent as these things seem to be a rare commodity, PM me for info
Hi crazyivan45,

I would like to rent the programmable dongle from you. I am in the process of ordering everything I need to a DIY install of the Helix Soundbox Subwoofer in my 2017 Golf Sportwagen S 4motion. Last item I need is the dongle. Let me know what you require to make this happen. Live in western PA and can use PayPal if you desire.

You can email me at jocro54@gmail.com

Thanks,

John
CRK DDY J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:51 AM   #286
allspark87

Drives: 2017 VW Golf GTI S
http://www.volkswagen-accessories.co...ettings_en.pdf

vehicle specific coding list
allspark87 is offline   Reply With Quote