GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why do so few people run Uni tunes?

Dubguy1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi everyone! I’ve been in the process of deciding on a tune for a few months now. In the past I ran APR on all my vehicles, but I read that some people are having issues with turbo/compressor surge on their tune for the R/S3 and also the nearest dealer is about 200 miles away from me. This is what led me to JB4, Eurodyne and Uni. Of the three Uni is the most appealing as their customer service is outstanding from my previous experience with them and you can flash at home. From many hours of searching it appears as though now many people run Uni though. Why is that? It seems as thought APR, UM, JB4 and ED are the top dogs. What would you recommend? I assume there should be good sales this week so I may jump on one of them. Thanks!

MK7Joe

Ready to race!
I run ED, I can do it at home was the big winner. there are also adjustable files (timing/boost/full tuning) if you choose too. not a lot of talk on the vortex side either regarding tunes.

don't forget about Cobb.

Navi

Autocross Champion
It's probably all marketing and just the name recognition of Apr. Unitronic (and giac) are both great and underated in my opinion (regarding customer service and quality of the tune). My understanding is that APR is the most aggressive tune which is why most spring for it.

Dubguy1

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ll admit my top pick is UM but it’s not practical since the nearest dealer is 300 miles away. I really think it comes down to JB4, Uni and ED.

r-gazmic

Passed Driver's Ed
I think people aren't as big on Unitronic just because the numbers they put up aren't on par with the other tuners you mention. That might be a plus for some people because it's probably not as hard on the car as some of the more aggressive tunes.

The Cobb AP was also recently released for these cars, that might be something to consider if you have a protuner close to you who can tune with it.

Personally, I have a UM tune and it's great. Power delivery is great and the exhaust makes all kinds of fun pops and crackles (sometimes gunshots) now too.

Dubguy1

Passed Driver's Ed
I think people aren't as big on Unitronic just because the numbers they put up aren't on par with the other tuners you mention. That might be a plus for some people because it's probably not as hard on the car as some of the more aggressive tunes.

The Cobb AP was also recently released for these cars, that might be something to consider if you have a protuner close to you who can tune with it.

Personally, I have a UM tune and it's great. Power delivery is great and the exhaust makes all kinds of fun pops and crackles (sometimes gunshots) now too.

Yeah I agree. UM seems to be the cream of the crop, but I always worry about what if I have an issue and need to flash back prior to going in. With my past cars I said F it but they weren’t as expensive as the R. I am a conservative accountant so I’m ok with not having the fastest car, but like to have fun lol.

rr1santos

Ready to race!
Initially I was going to go UM..until a buddy with jb4/um stack R and I ran and I kept up with just jb4 and meth..not to mention the customer service issues he was having with them..i then looked at Uni and ED knowing that I would have to buy a windows based computer (apple only home) but there was not enough info on maestro at the time...and uni only had a 93stg2 file at the time (I did not trust the "93 file will adapt to 91 octane" statement) I have both GIAC and APR auth dealers here in San Diego..i know APR was the "top" choice tune to stack with jb4 but I didn't like the idea of having to continuously go to the shop to flash back and forth for "warranty" issues and pay a price. I ultimately went with GIAC because they released their flash loader mobile right on time as I was ready to tune. I got the FLM, the original switcher controller and an aggressive stage 2 file (pump and race) for a really really good price. I also was able to spend time with the owners of GIAC and their tech Logan who were all very helpful and reassuring about their tunes. Since being part of the GIAC family their customer service to me has been awesome. quick to respond to emails and fb messages.

Dubguy1

Passed Driver's Ed
I think given my situation I just need to decide if I want piggyback or flash tune. Given the fact that I don’t have a tuner close to me I either want Uni or JB4. I am concerned about warranty but with Uni putting out less boost should make it safer, right? Plus I’ve never read anything about people having issues on that tune. What do you guys think?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I think given my situation I just need to decide if I want piggyback or flash tune. Given the fact that I don’t have a tuner close to me I either want Uni or JB4. I am concerned about warranty but with Uni putting out less boost should make it safer, right? Plus I’ve never read anything about people having issues on that tune. What do you guys think?

If you're concerned about your warranty your only choice is a piggyback, especially if you're only interested in a low-power tune and no downpipe.

Hoon

Autocross Champion

If you want to maintain the warranty, JB4 is the only reasonable choice. If you're willing to sacrifice the warranty, you do get more with a flash.

Personally i did not want to work around the limitations of JB4, and while i hope it doesn't happen, i'm willing to pay to play if something goes wrong.

Yes, Uni runs lower boost levels than most other tunes which helps preserve turbo life (and cat life on Stage 1 cars). This also produces a more linear tq curve which lowers stress on the bottom end. That said, you will obviously not be quite as fast as an APR or ED car.

My Uni GTI (and most others) runs like stock. Drive-ability is perfect; they run like they were programmed by VW but making a lot more power.

What would i really gain with a hotter tune, 2mph in trap speed? I drive 22-23K miles /yr, i'll take the added reliability and leave the last 15hp for the gods of speed. Approx 320whp on an IS20 with only 21.5psi is not half bad.

Noize1

Ready to race!
I like my Uni S2. Being able to flash it in my garage is so great.

I also call BS on the other tunes with more boost and less timing being faster, as the Stage 2 Uni R tunes in the drag race thread are right in the hunt.

JB4 was never on my radar. Way too many compromises.

lostru

Ready to race!
I have the Uni 1+. In stock form I was not able to push it to its limits on the back roads until I had about 30K on the dash. I researched a lot of tunes out there and came up with drivability and ability to actually use the power produced with the tune. This fit the bill. At 44 time slips at the drag strip don't mean much if what is produced cannot be used day to day. Bragging on times and HP/TQ numbers mean little when it comes down to it. 14K later and there is only once that I wanted a little extra. That changed when I realized it was driver error. Driver mod was cheap.

Rpt

Passed Driver's Ed
Chiming in with my Uni experience here. Ran a Stage 1 tune on a Passat (30,000 kms) and a Stage 2 on Golf R for 10,000 kms. Was very happy with the tunes. The R with the tune and DP was explosive. Sucks there is no dealer where I moved to.