GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Windshield replacement

megreene

Had my new 2017 mk7 gti couple weeks now. Big rock put quarter sized crack right in the middle of the windshield today. Best course of action? VW dealership? Safelight? Ideas?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Go through the dealership. They'll use the same glass contractor they use for every job, and they'll be familiar with the car and pretty much have to do decent work for the dealership to continue doing business with them. Worked out great for me on my last replacement. I'd avoid Safelite at all costs. Too many horror stories, including mine which I won't bore you with here.

tdipaul

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 6MT SE PP/LP
I have the same car and problem as you.

Safelite already came out but brought the wrong windshield. They didn't try to get the right one, they just refunded my money a few days later and with no explanation(wth?)

Then tried another place called Vision Quest. They could not obtain the proper windshield either. They said there are 4 pn's dependent on the configuration (sunroof, rain sensing, pano, etc)

They recommended I go to the dealer

Dealer said they only use aftermarket co's and it would only cost you more to use us (wth #2)

So I am taking a break and will check in with the aftermarket in a few months

Please post if you have better luck.

Be sure to give your VIN to whomever you try as it dictates what is the proper shield

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I wouldn't go with Safelite, find a local company with good reviews. Smaller company's tend to care more about their work than Safelite.

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
Just went through this fiasco. Safelite put the wrong windshield on and ended up having to get one from VW to put on. Took a week.

Our glass is OEM only. Provide your VIN.

XeyeL

Go through the dealership. Like KevinC said, they use the same vendor. They’re familiar with VW and it’s OEM glass. I went through it a year ago and I’m glad I went through the dealership. Remember, there are sensors that go attached to the windshield. If they’re not put back correctly or damaged during removal or placement then you’ll be dealing with other issues. I went through my insurance and paid the deductible.

I’ve read many horror stories with safelite and other independent installers that aren’t familiar with the vehicle.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
What's your insurance company say? They might replace it for free, and you might only need to pay the difference for OEM glass. My company paid for OEM glass in full and gave me a lifetime guarantee if I used their contractor. They used Berger but they might not be in your state.

megreene

Calling insurance tomorrow. Always been a fan of dealer work and OEM parts, so will see. Thanks all!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Lots of hate for Safelite :)

I used them on my last 5 or 6 cars including a 13 A8 with all the sensors that you can imagine and I didn't have any issues with them, I did go to their facility since I don't trust the idea of a mobile glass installer for some reason, once I almost used the dealer but it turns out that they used Safelite as well.

So over the years they replaced windshields on a Cadillac, MINI,3 Audis 2 A8's and an allroad with no issues , I'm not sure why they can not figure out a Golf.
Also like the Fed pointed out, your insurance should cover it with no deductible depending on your state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Unless the dealership does it themselves, which I doubt, see if they will give you the name of the shop they use. If your insurance company uses a particular shop, see if you can get the name and number of the shop.

I did the latter and asked the shop manager to please send their best guy because I'm the kind who cares about their car. I think I said I'm not some soccer mom who only sees their vehicle as a people mover. Now that I think about it, you might want to word that differently, he might be married to one :)