GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Millenial Job Interview

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I'm blessedly retired now, but I served on a number of interview panels and an employer has to be ever so careful about questions these days. We were forbidden to inquire about marital status, children or even ask if they had transportation. After hiring people who were less than honest about their skills with MS Excel, I began to ask soft-pitch questions to test their knowledge, then was told to knock it off by Human Resources because I was embarrassing candidates. I'm glad to be out of this mess.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
It's sad but true. But on the other hand, I've been to so many terrible interviews where my fate was decided by what I eat (I'm vegan or not), what my Zodiac sign is and what kind of music I listen to (rap is the music of aggression)
How do you know? Did they tell you that? No employer or hr would tell you even if they did.

Most couldn't care less about those things. They care about integrity, loyalty, motivation, charisma (if sales related), and ability to work well with others. That's it.

Last edited:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Yeah we used to give a test and then HR was like that’s not fair because some people don’t test well 😑. Well it would help to find someone who knows WTF they are doing.

Then again it can be hard to just find someone who shows up on time and takes direction well.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Then again it can be hard to just find someone who shows up on time and takes direction well.
Sad but true. I am way more tolerant of things now than I was before, just to retain people.

okcha

Car(s)
golf 8 gti
You know, sometimes, it amuses me very much to see how the younger generation strives to be very progressive and tries to appear smart and adult. When I was interviewing for my job, I saw several individuals who were very hard pressed for clever words in order to please me. What happens when the majority of people who are looking for a job on this page, understand that you need to prepare for the interview very well and in advance. So, I hope that more people who are willing to find a job on such sites will be more prepared.

Last edited:

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I'm blessedly retired now, but I served on a number of interview panels and an employer has to be ever so careful about questions these days. We were forbidden to inquire about marital status, children or even ask if they had transportation. After hiring people who were less than honest about their skills with MS Excel, I began to ask soft-pitch questions to test their knowledge, then was told to knock it off by Human Resources because I was embarrassing candidates. I'm glad to be out of this mess.

I've asked countless people with SQL Server on their resume to describe a basic select statement, and nobody has ever actually gotten it right.

Opening a saved query and hitting execute apparently means "strong sql skills" 🤷‍♂️

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
You guys who want to be/are in management, this is what you have to look forward to.

I know everyone is kid compared to The Fed, but come on...
Just to remind everyone, kids are Gen Z now. Millennials are in their mid 30's now and we have kids, houses, and management jobs.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Yeah we used to give a test and then HR was like that’s not fair because some people don’t test well 😑. Well it would help to find someone who knows WTF they are doing.

my boss told me I don't interview well. In truth I interview just like I am. I am really good at machines and diagnostics not so hot on caring what you think of me.

On interview (I had 2) we passed someone wearing company shirt I asked "how do you get one of those?" the reply was "your first one is free". My sense of humor made me say "Oh, that's the same thing my dealer tells me"