GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Roof Rack Paint Damage?

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
^ was going to say, use PPF under.

OP, what type of pad? I would use a Megs microfiber cutting with m105, then finish with a foam

My brother just installed one with fairing, and the Yakima has just plastic that sits on the roof. For now, we used painters tape until we grab some rubber to put under it

Gberg2119

Ready to race!
^ was going to say, use PPF under.

OP, what type of pad? I would use a Megs microfiber cutting with m105, then finish with a foam

My brother just installed one with fairing, and the Yakima has just plastic that sits on the roof. For now, we used painters tape until we grab some rubber to put under it
I used an orange uber polishing pad with meguiars ultimate polish. I do have a green uber pad that's a little more aggressive and a compound pad. Probably should've tried that too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
I had the same thing happen to mine when I took the rack off after a couple months. It's not that bad as I was able to remove some of it, but if you look really hard, it is still there. I'll be using a similar kit to the ECS one linked above when I put them back on for summer.

gilfm

Does anyone had any issue using the bicycles on the rack? any significant paint damage other than the observed hazing in some cars?

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone had any issue using the bicycles on the rack? any significant paint damage other than the observed hazing in some cars?

Not on mine, I use them year round, just a bit of haze and easy to take care of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gberg2119

Ready to race!
I ended up wet sanding the haze out with a friend. I have the lamin-x paint protection film but I'm unsure on how much to use. I don't think it needs the whole piece and they can probably be cut in half.

Does the lamin-x have the pliability to cover that crease in the roof?

bilagain

Passed Driver's Ed
My rack was on for almost a year. When I took it off I was disappointed to say the least. I polished and went after it a few times. I did NOT wet sand or anything more aggressive than Meguire's polish. A trace remained after about the 3rd attempt but you'd need to look for it. I do clay bar and polish/etc the car during the summer months on a regular basis. Now its virtually invisible. Car is CSG.

Cytokine

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 LSG 6MT Golf R
I have my OE rack on for most of the summer, comes of a couple times a summer for washes. Just a quick polish and no issues. The periodic removal with a wash and polish I think helps.

On and off with this rack is a bit of a pain, BMW has a much better design, screws directly into the roof, no fiddling. Wish VW would adopt a similar system.

rahtx

Go Kart Newbie
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I just had this happen to me on one corner of the roof rack (not OEM, Nordrive) after having it on for about a week in rainy and cold (for here) weather.

I know practically nothing about car detailing - I don't have a dual-action polisher (and wouldn't know what to do with it if I had one). Could someone please point me in the right direction of something basic (applied by hand) and non-aggressive to try to remove this haze?

The rack has soft/rubber feet, so I didn't think I'd need something underneath (wish I had seen this thread before), but if I'm able to remove the haze, I'll definitely get one of the previously linked kits of film to apply before using the rack again...

Last edited:

K.Nikkz

Ready to race!
I know practically nothing about car detailing - I don't have a dual-action polisher (and wouldn't know what to do with it if I had one). Could someone please point me in the right direction of something basic (applied by hand) and non-aggressive to try to remove this haze?

The rack has soft/rubber feet, so I didn't think I'd need something underneath (wish I had seen this thread before), but if I'm able to remove the haze, I'll definitely get one of the previously linked kits of film to apply before using the rack again...

You could get something like Meguiar's M205 and just apply by hand, followed by wax. This might get it out depending on the damage, but a lot of the work comes from the DA. Hopefully someone else can chime in here.

As far as buying protective film, go on Amazon and buy a roll of it. You'll find more uses than you'd imagine, and it's way more cost effective than buying those little sheets. Plus you can cut it yourself for weird spots. Like thisfor instance. I've used it to put under my mudflaps where they touch the paint and for the hood at this point, need more for a few other areas I'd like to protect.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Did VW include some vinyl sheets when you bought the roof rack? I know they did back when I had a MK4.

To avoid that issue, I buy vehicles that have side rails, to mount cross bars to (ie wagons).

rahtx

Go Kart Newbie
If the ShopDAP video on installing the rack is to be trusted, then no, it doesn't come with vinyl sheets. Mine is not OEM and didn't come with anything either.

I definitely get what you're saying about a different vehicle, but I had crossbars on my last vehicle, and I used it just as infrequently as I intend to use them on my GTI, which is about once or twice a year. For that limited usage, I'm personally not going to weigh that feature heavily in my purchasing decision when I'm car buying. Plus I just prefer the clean roof look...