GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Detail Before or After Winter?

SRQ_MK6

Ready to race!
My wife got me an exterior and interior detail for my birthday. We just moved to Maryland this year from Florida so I'm not used to this whole winter with a nice car deal. My question is should I go ahead and get the car detailed before winter gets harsh or just wait it out until after winter and have it done in the spring for summer? The previous owner didn't keep that paint in the greatest of shape but nothing bad. Some light swirls here and there when the sun hits it just right but nothing terrible. I also have to park the car outside our building too.

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
I personally do mine once before and after winter. No real wrong or right way. My preference is to get a good coat of wax on before the snow hits. More important IMO is to find a good touchless wash to get the salt off as frequently as needed.

SRQ_MK6

Ready to race!
I personally do mine once before and after winter. No real wrong or right way. My preference is to get a good coat of wax on before the snow hits. More important IMO is to find a good touchless wash to get the salt off as frequently as needed.

Good stuff. I found a nice touchless wash 10 minutes from my place last month. I think they do memberships too so that's something I'm going to have to look into... right now it's $12 a wash so it might pay for its self in the winter

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
Good stuff. I found a nice touchless wash 10 minutes from my place last month. I think they do memberships too so that's something I'm going to have to look into... right now it's $12 a wash so it might pay for its self in the winter
Yup same thing I did. Join the membership for the winter months and return to hand wash when weather permits again.

The salt is the major offender and they use that shit up here in MA like it's going out of style. Hopefully Maryland wont be as bad.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Biggest thing is getting the salt off as soon as possible, and try to go to touchless car washes that have undercarriage sprays.

SRQ_MK6

Ready to race!
Thanks guys. Looks like I'll get it done next weekend and look into getting the membership at the touch free wash.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Yeah, I always try to get some wax on it before the salt comes.
As others have said, get the salt off of it as often as you can too.
Lots of people hate car washes, and I do too - but sometimes when you live in the snow belt you don't have much of a choice.

Audog

Passed Driver's Ed
Both, before and after winter. If you have a garage, a couple of times during the winter won't hurt either. There are great waterless and rinseless wash products that will allow you to clean the car w/o water. If used with the right microfiber, they don't cause scratches. Touchless car was that sprays undercarriage is a must to remove salt/ice melt. Keep it waxed or ceramic coated and all should be good.

Pingers

Ready to race!
My wife got me an exterior and interior detail for my birthday. We just moved to Maryland this year from Florida so I'm not used to this whole winter with a nice car deal. My question is should I go ahead and get the car detailed before winter gets harsh or just wait it out until after winter and have it done in the spring for summer? The previous owner didn't keep that paint in the greatest of shape but nothing bad. Some light swirls here and there when the sun hits it just right but nothing terrible. I also have to park the car outside our building too.

Enjoy the Winter, SUCKER!! :p:D;)

armedferret

Ready to race!

Is that the one on route 3, just north of the underpass under 100?

They're kinda dicks.

If you're near glen burnie, I have a pressure washer, foam cannon and all the microfiber your heart could desire. If it's above freezing, i might could be convinced to share. :D

SRQ_MK6

Ready to race!
Enjoy the Winter, SUCKER!! :p:D;)

Lol listen, this isn't a permanent move. I'll be back down in a few years:D

Is that the one on route 3, just north of the underpass under 100?

They're kinda dicks.

If you're near glen burnie, I have a pressure washer, foam cannon and all the microfiber your heart could desire. If it's above freezing, i might could be convinced to share. :D

It is indeed. The reviews say the same about the staff but I've only used the touchless machine and they haven't bothered me yet. Maybe I'll just have to put up with them to get the membership... Thanks for the offer! I'll defiantly keep it in mind.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
since it sounds like you are going to drive it, get it done b4 the place closes. consider claybar/wax if it needs it in spring