GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7r cts turbo kit boss500 or boss600 ?

oheyitskev

Ready to race!
Why’d your turbo fail, outta curiosity? I’m assuming you don’t think it was because of the earlier tune if you’re considering going back.
Well the car only had 6k miles on it so I'm fully blaming it as a defective turbo, that said I feel the added boost and catless downpipe sped up the process, the tune was fine, it ran great and pulled hard.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Well the car only had 6k miles on it so I'm fully blaming it as a defective turbo, that said I feel the added boost and catless downpipe sped up the process, the tune was fine, it ran great and pulled hard.

What model year, if ya don’t mind sharing.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
2016 manual, it was an early 16 I bought it first chance I could, waited through the 15s so I could get the manual

Interesting, I have a 16 and a 17, that’s why I’m asking, seemed like by middle of 16 they were up to the H turbo revision and allot, not all, of the turbo failures were attributed to earlier versions. Anyway just curious do you know what yours was? And just cause I have 2 UM tuned any reason you are thinking of jumping ship other than easier adjustability/custom/dyno tuning? Or is there something else ya don’t like?

oheyitskev

Ready to race!
Interesting, I have a 16 and a 17, that’s why I’m asking, seemed like by middle of 16 they were up to the H turbo revision and allot, not all, of the turbo failures were attributed to earlier versions. Anyway just curious do you know what yours was? And just cause I have 2 UM tuned any reason you are thinking of jumping ship other than easier adjustability/custom/dyno tuning? Or is there something else ya don’t like?
I bought mine in October of 2015, so I'm sure it still used an early revision turbo from the 2015s.
I actually really like the um tune, my only issue is my nearest dealer is 3.5 hours away in Berkeley, ca.
Biggest issue is emissions, car gets rejected because I'm catless with the cel coded out, so I'd have to drive to Berkeley, get a reflash put the stock dp back on and get smogged. Luckily I found a work around, I had the car registered in a different county that doesn't require emissions.
I'm just weighing the options of buy the um cable $300 vs going and putting credits towards maestro for easier custom options.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Gotchya bud, I understand, thanks for sharing the info, I appreciate it. I’m planning on going with the boss kit also maybe with cts’s Black Friday sale and continue to use UM for the tuning, that’s why the 20 questions for ya lol

Just gotta decide 500 or 600, I keep waffling depending on the day :)

oheyitskev

Ready to race!
Gotchya bud, I understand, thanks for sharing the info, I appreciate it. I’m planning on going with the boss kit also maybe with cts’s Black Friday sale and continue to use UM for the tuning, that’s why the 20 questions for ya lol

Just gotta decide 500 or 600, I keep waffling depending on the day :)
Yeah I hear ya, sometimes I wish I'd have gotten the 600, but then I remember how I don't want to build bottom end, just need to upgrade my fuel pump so I can run higher boost and I'll call it a day lol

Calubi

Ready to race!
Last I talked to them (about 3 weeks ago on the phone) I was told they weren't even sure if they wanted to tune this kit yet. Apparently I no longer get have a giac dealer near me anymore anyway.

Any update on GIAC tuning for this kit?

I've been looking at options lately. I currently have GIAC ECU/TCU tunes on my R. Locally, I only have APR and GIAC dealers. The APR Stage 3+ kit looks nice, but so do the BOSS kits. It would be nice to have a local(-ish) tuning option for them, otherwise APR may be my only option.

oheyitskev

Ready to race!

I've been looking at options lately. I currently have GIAC ECU/TCU tunes on my R. Locally, I only have APR and GIAC dealers. The APR Stage 3+ kit looks nice, but so do the BOSS kits. It would be nice to have a local(-ish) tuning option for them, otherwise APR may be my only option.
I couldn't tell you, I'm tuned with um, at the time they were the only ones with a tune for this kit, so I drove the 3+ hours to get it done.

oheyitskev

Ready to race!

You also have the option of getting pro tuned or e tuned with a Cobb AP or going with maestro.

Calubi

Ready to race!
You also have the option of getting pro tuned or e tuned with a Cobb AP or going with maestro.

Yeah, but I was hoping for local tuning options. According to the Cobb dealer locator, there are no Cobb tuners with VW capability in the area.

Is e-tuning for turbo swaps like the BOSS 500 kit really a good idea?

USA

Ready to race!
Yeah, but I was hoping for local tuning options. According to the Cobb dealer locator, there are no Cobb tuners with VW capability in the area.

Is e-tuning for turbo swaps like the BOSS 500 kit really a good idea?
With a good E-Tuner YES. Been doing this for years. He needs data. You do a pull after you get his base file. Follow tuners instructions. No WOT until tuner gives the OK.

oheyitskev

Ready to race!
How is it running with that tune?
It runs pretty well, I haven't had any major concerns, only minor annoyance I've had is at idle if you listen really carefully the rpms jump up and down, not enough to move the tachometer needle but you can hear it.
I'm also on the really early tune and I know there has been some revisions since I got it in March.
One of these days I'm gonna buy the cable and get the latest tune as well as up the boost since I'm on 25psi.

USA

Ready to race!

Journal bearing turbos need a cool down cycle before shutting down engine. Without this the bearings get cooked thus failure. Even with cool down cycles it is just a matter of time. Ball Bearing turbos do not need this. I still run a cool down cycle with me ball bearing turbos as a good habit especially after running from the police. :p Gets really really hot under the hood.