GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Main Seal?

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Well catch cans on the mk7 don't show any deposits or accumulation...that is why I was asking. Heck the one fellow had his on for 20k without a drop.

The only time you see anything in the catch can, is if you bypassed the factory unit, or your stock oil separators broke.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
Finally replaced my clutch and was able to inspect my RMS, no leaks so far so we left it alone. Someone mentioned that they had 6 bolts, mine had all 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Finally replaced my clutch and was able to inspect my RMS, no leaks so far so we left it alone. Someone mentioned that they had 6 bolts, mine had all 8.

8 bolts, hence no leak!

tissue

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys, im about to install new flywheel/clutch but upon inspecting the rear main seal i noticed very little oil seepage. Is it normal? Should i leave it be or replace it?

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
The stock VW rear main seal sucks. They are known to leak. It's pretty much a no-brainer to change the rms when you do your clutch. I'm doing my clutch next Saturday and I have the iABED rms on it's way to me now. The extra $100 for a quality rms and peace of mind is worth it.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

SRoads

Ready to race!
I believe most of the failures are due to the mexican built 1.8T/2.0T for some reason they seem to leave the factory with only 6 bolts in the rear main seal. Golf Rs have all 8 and I have only seen 1 case of them leaking yet,

Last edited:

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
The stock VW rear main seal sucks. They are known to leak. It's pretty much a no-brainer to change the rms when you do your clutch. I'm doing my clutch next Saturday and I have the iABED rms on it's way to me now. The extra $100 for a quality rms and peace of mind is worth it.

Same here, just waiting on the funds to get my clutch and LSD and I'll be good to go there!