GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.8 tsi muffler swap to gti, plug and play?

Tsi7

Ready to race!
So I am going to be purchasing a stock oem gti muffler (literally just the muffler) and will be installing it on my stock 1.8 tsi eventually. I would like to know if there is anything special required or if this is a simple weld job and off you go. Is there anything particularly different from a 1.8 muffler and a gti muffler? (more free flowing, etc?) the only thing I know that is different is the pipe diameter (2.5 vs 2.25) but that's about it. I know I will need to get the gti valence but other then that it seems pretty straight forward. I'm not looking to change the sound I just like the look of the gti exhaust

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Might be a smidge more 'freeflowing' based on tip size, but since you're only doing the muffler don't expect any gains. I suspect the mufflers themselves are very similar if not the exact same except for the tip(s).

I did this exact swap for a buddy when I got my CSS suitcase for mine. I can say with certainty that it really doesn't change your exhaust note either if only doing the muffler. But, aesthetically yes, the GTI muffler/diffuser is much more appealing!

Tsi7

Ready to race!
Might be a smidge more 'freeflowing' based on tip size, but since you're only doing the muffler don't expect any gains. I suspect the mufflers themselves are very similar if not the exact same except for the tip(s).

I did this exact swap for a buddy when I got my CSS suitcase for mine. I can say with certainty that it really doesn't change your exhaust note either if only doing the muffler. But, aesthetically yes, the GTI muffler/diffuser is much more appealing!

Excellent, thank you for the info. As mentioned I don't care about the note/tone I just want the looks :) I was more concerned with potential overboost due to a more free flowing exhaust (had that issue when I cut the muffler on my old mk4 tdi)

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
Tsi7 do you have the option of just buying the full catback? Since the pipe is different diameter (2.25” Golf, 2.5” GTI) it might be easier to just run one adapter from Downpipe to GTI catback. I’m running the Full GTI catback and i can’t recommend it enough

Tsi7

Ready to race!
Unfortunately the seller I got my exhaust from only had the muffler, which I'm ok with since the price was good. I don't forsee the welding being an issue, at least I don't see why it would be

riambink

Passed Driver's Ed
I did full catback awhile ago...Removing those rubber exhaust hangers were a massive pain. Watched this video: https://youtu.be/fQj63xZKEIk
The outer diameter for the GTI catback I had was slightly larger than 2.5” so I had a hell of a time getting the reducer to fit. I did see a small but substantial increase in noise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk