GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

US 2017 GTI Sport - Foglight retrofit?

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hmm I hope I can do that. They siliconed where they attached their mini harness. I cant even see how they attached it. Will give it a try. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hotfart

Ready to race!
Damn...yeah they didn't put any sealant on the harnesses they sent me...they just unplugged and came right off. Hope you can get it to work!

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
So far I’ve been doing this project in multiple sections. Today I finally installed the harness. Nelly’s guide has been awesome but holy shit I could have used a heads up on what a pita removing the BCM connectors would be! You seriously need the hands of a small contortionist. I also ended up busting this white piece. Any idea what it’s for? Does it need to be replaced? Connectors seem to lock in fine without it.

Last edited:

Hotfart

Ready to race!
So far I’ve been doing this project in multiple sections. Today I finally installed the harness. Nelly’s guide has been awesome but holy shit I could have used a heads up on what a pita removing the BCM connectors would be! You seriously need the hands of a small contortionist. I also ended up busting this white piece. Any idea what it’s for? Does it need to be replaced? Connectors seem to lock in fine without it.

Yep, the BCM was probably the most frustrating part. It gave me a HUGE headache. As for the white piece, I'm assuming it's the "cage" like piece? If so, and if I remember correctly, I broke mine too (pretty sure I heard of others doing the same). I don't know why it's there, and doesn't seem to serve a purpose as the BCM harness clicks in on it's own with the little lever (and as you found out, they won't disconnect without lots of cussing!). I didn't replace it, and I haven't noticed any issues whatsoever.

sethdude

Pobody's Nerfect.
If you need wiring adapters for Golf to GTI fogs, PM me. I’ve got some good ones I made with 100% OEM parts that I don’t need anymore.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
So one thing that has been bugging me and has me slightly worried are the flimsy gauge wires coming out of these fog lights. Should I be concerned about them possibly getting fried or am I worrying over nothing?

Attachments

• chinese fog light.jpg
    chinese fog light.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 510

Hotfart

Ready to race!
So one thing that has been bugging me and has me slightly worried are the flimsy gauge wires coming out of these fog lights. Should I be concerned about them possibly getting fried or am I worrying over nothing?

I probably wouldn't sweat it too much, but I'll let someone else with more electrical system knowledge give a definite answer. I don't know exactly how much power they draw, but it can't be a lot. Think of household bulbs - a 100 watt LED equivalent only draws about 18 watts. I'm guessing our fogs are more like 60-75 watt equivalent (10-13 watts).

Were you unable to get those harnesses removed from the lights? Obviously that would be preferred, but I get that sometimes stuff doesn't go as planned. Otherwise, were you planning on splicing the wiring, or did you find a harness adapter or something?

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
On your pic, this is to adjust and aim the fogs correctly after installation

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
So the latest update is that fogs are still not connected yet. Unfortunately the DIY adapter that Sethdude kindly offered to me weren't compatible for my needs.

However, I do have everything I need to simply splice the wires. I have the female H11 plug that is pre-wired, which will connect to the fogs. The loose wire can then be spliced to the BKS harness. That obviously is simplest and straightforward method but I'm having a hard time bringing myself to hack up the BKS harness. The splicing just seems kind of ghetto to me.

I would much rather make my own adapter but what I'm having a hard time sourcing right now are the contact pins that go into the male GTI plug (part# 5Q0973802). The part number for the contacts are #105 982.02. I found them on the German EBay but they dont ship to the US. ECS sells the male plug and the waterproof seals but not the contact pins.

Attachments

• male plug and connecters.JPG
    male plug and connecters.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 412

Raegar

Ready to race!
I think Im late to the party here, but is this the cabling you were looking for or are you all figured out on that part?

Also, AliExpress does sell FOG Lights that don't need that extra harness removed and your BKT harness just plugs into them directly. See below

bludragon06

Ready to race!
I didn't read the whole thing. I have a sport and retrofitted the fogs to my car. I got the aliexpress housings and the e-acca.com wiring harness. Everything works great. Never aimed them. Just put them in and used them. I had the switch from my previous 2016 SE Gti that I totaled.

LA KINGS

Passed Driver's Ed
I didn't read the whole thing. I have a sport and retrofitted the fogs to my car. I got the aliexpress housings and the e-acca.com wiring harness. Everything works great. Never aimed them. Just put them in and used them. I had the switch from my previous 2016 SE Gti that I totaled.

These?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-VW-Golf-7-mk7-GTI-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017-LED-Car-Styling-DRL-Daytime/

Also, what harness are you talking about from that website?

Thinking about doing this as well.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I think Im late to the party here, but is this the cabling you were looking for or are you all figured out on that part?

Nope. Not it either. Thanks though. The adapter I need is H11 (big female plug) to #5Q0973802 (smaller male plug).

Also, AliExpress does sell FOG Lights that don't need that extra harness removed and your BKT harness just plugs into them directly. See below

Yeah I learned that after I installed them and realized the plugs weren't compatible. Didn't do my homework thoroughly enough. The listing said they were GTI fog lights and just went with it. Lesson learned. Check the plugs before you buy.

I'm just going to splice the wires and close the book on this biotch.

UA TDI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Nope. Not it either. Thanks though. The adapter I need is H11 (big female plug) to #5Q0973802 (smaller male plug).

Yeah I learned that after I installed them and realized the plugs weren't compatible. Didn't do my homework thoroughly enough. The listing said they were GTI fog lights and just went with it. Lesson learned. Check the plugs before you buy.

I'm just going to splice the wires and close the book on this biotch.

Did you end up getting this to work? Fingers crossed for you.