GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mishimoto's MK7 Intercooler and Piping R&D Thread

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
I hope this will be ready for summer, good luck!

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
That's the plan! we are getting close to having a full production sample soon! I'll keep you guys posted!

-Nick
Nick I'm local PM for info.

Mishimoto1

Ready to race!
Nick I'm local PM for info.

I will definitely reach out once we get closer to the dyno day! We'd prefer something with a manual, but we more prefer to test on something that's tuned and putting down a lot of power.

Also, just wanted to bump this and let you guys know we're still plugging along with this intercooler kit! We're currently in search of a Golf R to check our fitment prototype. If anyone is interested in the area, shoot me a PM!

-Nick

Mishimoto1

Ready to race!
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to bump this thread to let you know that testing is starting very soon! We found a Golf 7R owner in the area who was willing to let us run his vehicle on the dyno, so piping tests start on Friday!

-Nick

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
Cool

Mishimoto1

Ready to race!
Hey Guys,

Just bumping it up for a little teaser!

We're working on test fitting our fitment prototype, and on to the dyno for testing our piping after that!

Stay tuned!

-Nick

Mk72015

Ready to race!
Excited to see!

Travis9935

Ready to race!
Prob $300+ like all the others. Just go on Aliexpress and get that full kit for $150. Same thing as all the others.

Mishimoto1

Ready to race!
Hey Guys,

Happy Monday everyone! I hope everyone had a fun and safe St. Patties day! I come to you today with the next installment of our intercooler development. As always, for the full write up, make sure to head over to our Engineering Blog!

Bigger is better has long since been an unofficial mantra of the automotive world. To go faster or further, you have to go bigger. Either by way of more cylinders, bigger turbos, thicker sway bars, the increase in size helps quench the thirst for speed. The Golf GTI and all its subsequent variants have been showing us since 1974 that sometimes smaller can be just as good, and plenty of speed and practicality can come in a condensed package. The same can be said for our intercooler design for the latest generation of VW’s compact chassis. It’s not the size that matters, but rather the innovation packed inside.

When I say the innovation is packed inside, I really mean it. Under the hood of the MK7 is so densely packed that devising a new and improved intercooler is a bit of a challenge. Luckily, our engineer is up to the challenge.

What makes this project especially challenging is the fact that the intercooler is the load-bearing meat in an intercooler sandwich, with no clear cut way to relocate the new core.

Even with the limited build envelope, our engineer was still able to give the new design a bit of a volume boost. But much like how the GTI relies on innovation, the performance of our intercooler will rely on the new core construction and end tank design. Make sure to head over to the blog for the full story!

Also feel free to reach out with and questions or concerns you might have!

-Nick

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Hey Guys,

Happy Monday everyone! I hope everyone had a fun and safe St. Patties day! I come to you today with the next installment of our intercooler development. As always, for the full write up, make sure to head over to our Engineering Blog!

Bigger is better has long since been an unofficial mantra of the automotive world. To go faster or further, you have to go bigger. Either by way of more cylinders, bigger turbos, thicker sway bars, the increase in size helps quench the thirst for speed. The Golf GTI and all its subsequent variants have been showing us since 1974 that sometimes smaller can be just as good, and plenty of speed and practicality can come in a condensed package. The same can be said for our intercooler design for the latest generation of VW’s compact chassis. It’s not the size that matters, but rather the innovation packed inside.

When I say the innovation is packed inside, I really mean it. Under the hood of the MK7 is so densely packed that devising a new and improved intercooler is a bit of a challenge. Luckily, our engineer is up to the challenge.

What makes this project especially challenging is the fact that the intercooler is the load-bearing meat in an intercooler sandwich, with no clear cut way to relocate the new core.

Even with the limited build envelope, our engineer was still able to give the new design a bit of a volume boost. But much like how the GTI relies on innovation, the performance of our intercooler will rely on the new core construction and end tank design. Make sure to head over to the blog for the full story!

Also feel free to reach out with and questions or concerns you might have!

-Nick
Nick,

Good stuff; I especially like the article from here: https://www.mishimoto.com/engineering/2018/02/intercooler-pipe-r-d-vw-gti-2015/

I didn't realize that VW embedded an air straightener in the charge piping.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk