GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR stage 1 and 2 drivability

pgh_dshaw

Ready to race!
How long should I wait since it's new, to get the APR?
Didn't know if there's a requisite mileage break in before you start tuning.
The guy I spoke with at Hindson also said if you go stage2, you need some trans software remapping to keep if from slipping.
Is this correct?

Break in is 1k miles. I tuned mine at about 3-4k miles. You don't need any sort of transmission software if it's DSG. It takes a lot more hp/tq than that to make a DSG slip. If you're manual, you better have money for a clutch. Sounds like the guy at Hindson is trying to upsell you some shit.

Tico63

Ready to race!
My friend, do yourself a favor. Drive the car stock for 1-2 months. Enjoy it. It's an amazing machine. Purchase a good priced downpipe and drive that for a couple of weeks. Then if you decide to go the APR route (which I did), skip onto Stage II and the power gains will blow your mind.

To fully appreciate the tune, you should drive it stock for a month or two. But then again, if you're one of those people that feels like the car came out of the factory incomplete, then the tune makes sense to get right away.

APR is a great choice. I did it and never looked back. Absolutely 0 zero issues after almost 30k miles.

And I'll gladly pay a pretty penny if something goes wrong as it has brought me so much satisfaction.

If you have a light foot, then the drivability will not change in any way. If you have a heavy foot, you will blow your tires off in 2 weeks.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Agreed above. Ramon was hoping to put together a local meetup for us MK7 GTI/R guys, probably this spring.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6638&page=5

We all have different levels of modifications and I'm sure plenty will be happy to let you ride along to see what they're like before you make a decision. Traction stinks on all-seasons in the cold weather anyways. Break it in, get used to it, do some reading, ask questions. Plan it out so you don't waste money.

And no, you don't need to do a DSG tune for APR stage 2. They just want your money (read through that thread I linked...$1,700 for a clutch job labor...wow).

TroyI

Ready to race!
My friend, do yourself a favor. Drive the car stock for 1-2 months. Enjoy it. It's an amazing machine. Purchase a good priced downpipe and drive that for a couple of weeks. Then if you decide to go the APR route (which I did), skip onto Stage II and the power gains will blow your mind. ge in any way. If you have a heavy foot, you will blow your tires off in 2 weeks.

What he says here..... I drove mine for 2 months and only went with Stage 1. It totally BLOWS YOUR MIND. It's freaking awesome.

Anotherbob

Passed Driver's Ed
Like your Mustang, you won't want to drive it in the rain or snow. But I see you have a four-wheeler for that.

I have APR Stage 1 tune with their CAI, APR TCU tune, and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires. The car drives just fine in rain and snow that we get during the winter here in Cleveland, Ohio. FYI the OEM Pirellis were not horrible either, but there's a noted difference with the Michelins. I don't have any idea why you wouldn't want to drive it in the rain or snow, your right foot controls the car, just drive more carefully in the inclement weather. I have yet to have any issues even driving in four inches of snow up a hill.

Predatorbird

Ready to race!
Sorry I missed this. Complete BS. Sounds like they want to charge you 2 flashing fees.

You can do Eurodyne, Unitronic or GIAC at home.
APR doesn't list a price to start with Stage 2. If you buy the APR downpipe, then it's $700 (cost of Stage 1 flash). If you jump to Stage 2 with a different brand downpipe, then its $875. They aren't charging two flashing fees.

oldguy1

Passed Driver's Ed
Does APR stage 1 or 2 take either the motor or turbo to any unsafe levels?
I'm trying to get a feel for what's reasonable with this thing and not get to the edge and looking over.
I understand the risks associated with modifying a car and I'm willing to take that chance, but don't want to be holding my breath every time I go through the gears.

JKoehle

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Does APR stage 1 or 2 take either the motor or turbo to any unsafe levels?

I'm trying to get a feel for what's reasonable with this thing and not get to the edge and looking over.

I understand the risks associated with modifying a car and I'm willing to take that chance, but don't want to be holding my breath every time I go through the gears.

Based on how much more guys using Maestro or Cobb are getting out of these engines over OTS tunes, I can’t imagine any of them except maybe GIAC extreme files take the power plant anywhere near the limit.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
There's people with blown turbos and DSG's running only Stage 1 files, so you never know. You always need to be prepared to pay for any repairs unless you use a piggyback.

oldguy1

Passed Driver's Ed
My tentative plan is to get 3-4 k miles on the car and do APR Stage 2 along with the DSG upgrade.
I spoke with PHP in Joplin and I believe that's where I'll be heading for the work.