GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's your monthly cost for insurance?

peacefrog_0521

Passed Driver's Ed
I may be an outlier. 46, Michigan, 2 total loss claims in 2016 (under previous company).
Currently $144/mo, but is billed annually ($1728/yr) and must be paid in full. Of this, $789/yr is for collision coverage.

I didn't help my situation with an at-fault accident and total loss, after having another total loss after a deer hit (not-at-fault). But I couldn't have picked a worse place to do so.

Michigan (and especially metro Detroit) already has the highest average insurance premiums in at least the lower 48 states, if not the entire US. This is largely due to mandatory Personal Injury Protection which is usually at least half of the premium. (It used to be more on my policy; now it's about $311/yr.)

This portion goes into a statewide fund (currently around $17 billion) to pay for unlimited lifetime benefits for auto accident injury victims. No other state has unlimited lifetime benefits. Most other states have a cap on the dollar amount, or on the time over benefits are paid, or both.
New Jersey has the highest benefits cap, with a limit of $250,000. Most states have a $1500 cap.

I'm actually thinking now of parking my Golf in storage come Spring, and driving the Miata (currently in storage) through Spring, Summer, and Fall, so I can suspend the insurance on the Golf.

Last edited:

WhiteTigerSE

Passed Driver's Ed
I just did my insurance. $1000 deductibles and $100k/300k medical. $43.70/month on GTI
USAA, brand new 2017
31, M, 1 ticket - 0 claims, 2006

I also have a truck ($30.48), 2007 Frontier and I pay a Grand Total of $445/6 months between the 2. ($74.18/month).
2,000 miles/yr on truck
8,000 miles/yr on car

Edit: Just decreased my comprehensive deductible from $1000 to $500 on the car only. Bumped up total cost to $77 a month.

Last edited:

JD-1

Ready to race!
I am 26
Nationwide is charging me 189 for 100k/300k coverage with $500 deductible.

I'm going to be swapping to Amica or Travelers that is going to charge me $125 a month for the same coverage.