GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leather heated seats take FOREVER compare to cloth

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Don’t forget (not that it really helps without remote start), but you can also set the seat heater level to be permanently remembered.

mike.randall.566

Passed Driver's Ed
Really like this"hack". My wife and girls like the highest setting, I only use it do get the heat going, after it warms it feels like my ass is on fire. So I left that one alone. Second setting, number 3@4, i left the bottom the same and raised the back temp I believe to 36c to 37c. Use this setting when I want my lower back getting the heat, but after a few test drives the bottom seems high so I lowered it one degree below the lowest setting, that seems to work great.

The lowest setting I raised the bottom temp 1 degree, and raised the back 5 degrees. I like the heat on my back, it's my car so the lower two settings are for me!!!!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
I remember when we did not have seat heaters.

One was lucky to have heat
... and we drove up hill both ways
... and it was snowing 3ft deep
... and back then leather seats still had hair on them
... and you could still smell the cow
... And we liked it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Is the new 2018 perforated leather better from this point of view?
Does it heat faster?
Is there perforated leather in CAN? No difference in USA models leather for 18.

hypergti1

I also took delivery of a 17 SE to replace my 12 S. The plaid definitely heated up faster.
SDO1349, how long does it take your seats to heat up on a cold day(below 30 degrees F)? Also can anyone tell me if there is a setting for the warmers to remember the setting instead of turning off every time the ignition is off?

sdo1349

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT,
I also took delivery of a 17 SE to replace my 12 S. The plaid definitely heated up faster.
SDO1349, how long does it take your seats to heat up on a cold day(below 30 degrees F)? Also can anyone tell me if there is a setting for the warmers to remember the setting instead of turning off every time the ignition is off?

I would say within 5 minutes its nice and warm. the seat back especially feels good with the heat

Internexus

Ready to race!
I have a 15 GTI with leather and the girlfriend has a 15 Golf with the synthetic leather. This is my 3rd VW in a row and my previous models were a Jetta GLI and TDI which both had the synthetic seating surfaces. Both of those cars the seat heaters were EXTREME and set a serious standard that was not met when I obtained my GTI.

I took it in to the dealer countless times always to be told by the service reps/manager "feels normal to me" and dumbass comments like "much hotter than my charger I can tell you that!" to hell with that guys charger, I know what I've come to expect with these cars and it's not there in the GTI w/ leather option.

I had to do my own testing with an infrared thermometer and this is what I discovered.
The GTI takes 5 minutes for the seats to warm up coming from a 55 degree starting temperature in a garage to a maximum temperature of 107 degrees. The Golf seats warm up within one minute reaching a whopping 127 degrees, yes 20 degrees warmer which is a drastic difference.

I argued back and forth with several dealers that it wasn't up to par and was not functioning correctly. I moved up the chain to some gentleman at VW corporate that I was able to convince to swap my heater element in the seat which also changed nothing. The shocking thing for me was that VW had zero written standard of what the temperatures should be reaching for each of the models, it was always at the discretion of the tech to say 'yep feels warm to me so its good' never an actual scientific test in any way shape or form that involved actual measurements.

I've also tried raising the seat temps via VCDS and have noticed zero changes so I'm kind of surprised this seems to be a hot new topic of recent. Perhaps the 2015 model doesn't actually change the temperature but the later years do? Beats me.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I have a 15 GTI with leather and the girlfriend has a 15 Golf with the synthetic leather. This is my 3rd VW in a row and my previous models were a Jetta GLI and TDI which both had the synthetic seating surfaces. Both of those cars the seat heaters were EXTREME and set a serious standard that was not met when I obtained my GTI.

I took it in to the dealer countless times always to be told by the service reps/manager "feels normal to me" and dumbass comments like "much hotter than my charger I can tell you that!" to hell with that guys charger, I know what I've come to expect with these cars and it's not there in the GTI w/ leather option.

I had to do my own testing with an infrared thermometer and this is what I discovered.
The GTI takes 5 minutes for the seats to warm up coming from a 55 degree starting temperature in a garage to a maximum temperature of 107 degrees. The Golf seats warm up within one minute reaching a whopping 127 degrees, yes 20 degrees warmer which is a drastic difference.

I argued back and forth with several dealers that it wasn't up to par and was not functioning correctly. I moved up the chain to some gentleman at VW corporate that I was able to convince to swap my heater element in the seat which also changed nothing. The shocking thing for me was that VW had zero written standard of what the temperatures should be reaching for each of the models, it was always at the discretion of the tech to say 'yep feels warm to me so its good' never an actual scientific test in any way shape or form that involved actual measurements.

I've also tried raising the seat temps via VCDS and have noticed zero changes so I'm kind of surprised this seems to be a hot new topic of recent. Perhaps the 2015 model doesn't actually change the temperature but the later years do? Beats me.

I think the thing I miss most about my MKV to MK7 GTI heated seats is the granularity in control. I liked having 5 settings in the MKV versus just the 3 in the MK7. MKV did have climatronic though, so that may be a difference. My MK7 seems to be about the same temp and heat up just as quickly as my MKV did, but I went from leather to cloth now, so I'm sure that makes a huge difference.

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
Also can anyone tell me if there is a setting for the warmers to remember the setting instead of turning off every time the ignition is off?

The GTI is suppose to remember the setting for 10 minutes after ignition off by default. There's a VCDS/OBD11 tweak that can change this, but below is all I could find on a quick search:

Retaining the heated seat settings

08 - Auto HVAC
Adaptation - 10
Storage of the seat heater level driver -> "active" (default "not active")
Storage of the passenger seat heating stage -> "active" (default "not active")

This apparently does permanently remember/10min/off.

I know I've seen a post where you can change the time for how long it retains heated seat memory setting after ignition off from 10min to other time frames.

Also, there's a way to change the heating levels of the 3 different heated seat presets in VCDS/OBD11. Not sure if '3' is set to maximum or not by default.

All the above is buried somewhere in the gazillion pages of VCDS and OBD11 tweaks. I'll let someone who's done above tweaks to chime in with more detailed info.

Internexus

Ready to race!
I think the thing I miss most about my MKV to MK7 GTI heated seats is the granularity in control. I liked having 5 settings in the MKV versus just the 3 in the MK7. MKV did have climatronic though, so that may be a difference. My MK7 seems to be about the same temp and heat up just as quickly as my MKV did, but I went from leather to cloth now, so I'm sure that makes a huge difference.

I agree whole heartedly, I felt the 5 controls gave the driver/passenger some finite control to their riding comfort. The 3 controls are basically 1-"I feel nothing" 2-"I think there's some heat? maybe?!" 3-"hey I feel the heat ~10 min later"

I've honestly considered swapping someone my leather for their cloth just to have the hot seats once more.

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
2018 gti autobahn w/leather. On max setting the seats take about 3 to feel, 5 minutes to warm and 7 minutes for too hot, all on a -20'C day. I will then eventually switch to the lowest hest level so i dont get roasted.

I'd say they work perfectly fine. But maybe Canadian cars are programmed differently due to out climate?