GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Folding Mirror Help

Epic Beck

I searched around for a while with no luck so I was hoping someone here can help me with my issues. I installed a set of the auto folding mirrors from AliExpress last night on my '17 GTI SE.

The install went fine and the mirrors do fold when I have the car on and flip the switch to fold. The issue is getting them to fold when I lock the car.

I followed the DAP tutorial for coding on OBDEleven changing the Mirror_Folding and Mirror_Comfort_Folding to installed and active respectively. I tried this but no luck. I also checked in the car setting menu but noticed the mirror folding option is not in there.

I also am not getting puddle lights either.

I'm guessing I might have missed a step and the fact that I don't have that option in the infotainment is my issue. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Did you try this on OBD11 for puddle lights?

(42) Door Electronics Driver Side > Long Coding > click on the bits and bytes icon > go to Byte 01 > deselect bit 05 "door entry lights inactive".

This got both sides to work, although, I repeated on the passenger side (52) anyway, just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epic Beck

Did you try this on OBD11 for puddle lights?

(42) Door Electronics Driver Side > Long Coding > click on the bits and bytes icon > go to Byte 01 > deselect bit 05 "door entry lights inactive".

This got both sides to work, although, I repeated on the passenger side (52) anyway, just in case.

I did not do that, I will tonight, thanks!

For the infotainment issue I read that I need to change: Funk Spiegalanklappen, Menusteuerung Funk Spiegelanklappen and Funk Speigelanklappung Modus but I can not find those in Central Electronics.

Anyone have an idea where those settings are on a '17?

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Yes you guys actually do get all the cool stuff, that said we do get the lowest price, an Euro spec Golf /GTI can be get very expensive here

Epic Beck

Unfortunately, the puddle light fix mentioned did not work. I think I need to figure out why the menu option isn't there. I just wonder if something changed with the 2017 menu options like it changed for the comfort window open/close?

Joel

Ready to race!
Have you tried reseting the infotainment system?
I had to do that before everything worked.

Joel

Ready to race!
If i remember right you hold the power button untill it does.

Then I think it showed up in the settings, but needed to be activated.

Last edited:

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
2017 NA R here the names are slightly different but should be fairly obvious. Below is the coding i used for mine hope it helps.

Folding mirrors installed
Do the below for both the drivers and passenger door:
Adaptation - mirror_folding -> "installed" (default is "not_installed")
Adaptation - front_field_light -> "active" (default is "not_active")
Adaptation - mirror_comfort_folding -> "active" (default is "not_active")

FYI front_field_light is the puddle light under the mirrors. By default the puddle light is off when the mirror is closed or doing its folding action (turns off instantly as it starts its motion). There's a setting called "turn_off_front_field_light_when_folded_mirror" (default is "active") that if you change to not_active it keeps the light on all the time that CH/LH lights are on, regardless of if the mirror is folded/folding. More of a personal preference thing.

Folding mirrors automatically when car is locked and add the fold on park menu option: (this was similar to the OPs code but OBD added a space in one of the german words in my car which confused me for a minute, so i'll just repost it):
[09] Central Electronics
[10] Adaptation
[23] - Access control 2 - Funk Spiegelanklappen change to "active", click do it
[26] - Access control 2 - Menuesteuerung Funkspiegel anklappen change to “active”
[24] - Access control 2 - Funk Spiegelanklappung Modus change to “by look command via remote control key”
and then check is mirrors and parking on car settings to make sure "Fold away after parking" is checked.​

Epic Beck

I figured I should respond with my fix incase anyone else has the same problem.

I found out the issue was actually with the Optix brand dynamic turn signals I purchased from eBay and installed at the same time as folding mirrors. This brand turn signals is missing a pin for the plug and apparently it disables puddle light.

I purchased another set of dynamic turn signals from AliExpress for cheaper then the eBay set and the puddle lights worked right away. Hope this helps anyone else with the same issue.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion

I found out the issue was actually with the Optix brand dynamic turn signals I purchased from eBay and installed at the same time as folding mirrors. This brand turn signals is missing a pin for the plug and apparently it disables puddle light.

I purchased another set of dynamic turn signals from AliExpress for cheaper then the eBay set and the puddle lights worked right away. Hope this helps anyone else with the same issue.

Thanks for posting your findings. The more info the better for the community.

There is a thread that talks about this as well, it was confirmed that the 2 pins are the issue and the 3 pins is what you need for the puddle lights to work. Thanks for taking the time to post

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

Yup I had the same exact problem. Glad you figured it out.