GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can DSG reset to re-adapt clutches worsen shift quality?

tringo007

Passed Driver's Ed
DSG Shift quality has worsened over last few months (speed of shift, bucking, clunky etc.).

Each only happens occasionally but definitely more often than before, specially in cold weather. I've driven other Golfs like mine without these issues. Clutch pack & DSG service was done 6 months (approx. 5,000 miles) ago. There are no fault codes.

Is DSG reset guaranteed to bring at least some improvement i.e. a safe thing to try? One mechanic advised not to do it until issues are bad as from his experience, DSG reset/re-adapt can worsen things.

Advice welcome.

Last edited:

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
From what I have read the adaptation always makes shifts slightly better, then it goes back to normal after around 500 miles. However if you are having issues right now you should check the fluid level as 777 said. Too little fluid can cause this.

tringo007

Passed Driver's Ed
It's the dry clutch model so it's not possible to check fluid level. Only way to 'check' is to do another complete DSG service (drain, refill), which was already done 6 months ago.

Understanding is with dry clutch that Transmission fluid has much less impact on shift quality than wet clutch.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
In my experience a reset doesn't hurt anything. Just resets all the learned values.

Mine gets a little laggy in the pedal after a few hundred miles (delay in engagement after pressing gas). I reset it almost once a month. Perfect for another few hundred miles.

I'd say it's worth a try if not super inconvenient or expensive. I use my eurodyne flash tool, for free. Costs me about 10 mins.

My issue, I think, is going from stop and go rush hour traffic to "spirited" driving.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
It's the dry clutch model so it's not possible to check fluid level. Only way to 'check' is to do another complete DSG service (drain, refill), which was already done 6 months ago.

Understanding is with dry clutch that Transmission fluid has much less impact on shift quality than wet clutch.

Didn't know VW switched to dry clutches for the 7 speed. For the wet clutch DSG we also can't check fluid level (as in theres no dipstick). The only way to do it is to remove the plug and see how much fluid comes out. In theory you could drain the transmission into clean containers to measure how much fluid comes out, then adjust that amount when you put it back in.

Tac

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'18 R & '17 GTI
Didn't know VW switched to dry clutches for the 7 speed. For the wet clutch DSG we also can't check fluid level (as in theres no dipstick). The only way to do it is to remove the plug and see how much fluid comes out. In theory you could drain the transmission into clean containers to measure how much fluid comes out, then adjust that amount when you put it back in.

Its the other way around I believe, dry DSGs are the older ones that tend to have a lot of problems.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Well there’s 2 7-speeds:
1 dry (DQ200)
1 wet (DQ381)

DQ200 is nowhere near as stout as the DQ250.

I’m not educated enough to speak on the 381, but I would hope it’s similar to the DQ250 in reliability. Probably not though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tac

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'18 R & '17 GTI
Well there’s 2 7-speeds:
1 dry (DQ200)
1 wet (DQ381)

I’m not educated enough to speak on the 381, but I would hope it’s similar to the DQ250 in reliability. Probably not though

The 7 speed DQ381 is what is in the 2018+ Golf R and S3, seems pretty darn sturdy so far :D

teslas123

Just something to toss out there.

In general, any transmission can start to fall apart after a transmission fluid change, especially if it was done out of the recommendation mileage.

The fluid swap breaks gunk loose that can embed in other spots. Im not saying this is your problem or the solution, but in general another fluid swap can clean out crap that came loose from the last change.

Scotty on YouTube can better explain it than I.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Well there’s 2 7-speeds:
1 dry (DQ200)
1 wet (DQ381)

DQ 250 came out in 2003

Wikipedia
At the start of 2008, another world-first 70 kg (150 lb) seven-speed DSG transaxle (Volkswagen Group internal code: DQ200, parts code prefix: 0AM) became available. It differs from the six-speed DSG, in that it uses two single-plate dry clutches (of similar diameter). This clutch pack was designed by LuK Clutch Systems, Gmbh. This seven-speed DSG is used in smaller front-wheel-drive cars with smaller-displacement engines with lower torque outputs, such as the latest Volkswagen Golf, Volkswagen Polo Mk5, and the new SEAT Ibiza.[6] It has been paired to engines with up to 250 N⋅m (180 lb⋅ft). It has considerably less oil capacity than the six-speed DQ250; this new DQ200 uses just 1.7 litres (0.37 imp gal; 0.45 US gal) of transmission fluid.