GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB Protuning - Dyno / E-Tune / 3rd Party OTS

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
I am currently stuck between eurodyne stage 2 vs COBB protune from either 5150 or stratified but I am worried the protune won't be aggressive and I will end up loosing power/torque.
Just my take, but 5150 seems pretty aggressive from what we've seen so far. Has anyone gone with stratified at this point?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it yet but Jon Drenas @ 5150 Racing in Santa Ana, CA. can do all three on the list. I just got a dyno tune from him but he also does e tuning and he has his own 5150 Racing stage 1 and stage 2 OTS tunes that he offers. He really did a great job making me a custom 91 octane and E30 tunes and he is a cool guy. And he mentioned to me that he is looking for more GTI's to tune. He actually drives a MK7 Lapiz Blue Golf R. So he is familiar with our platform even though right now the majority of his work is done on Evo's. But he is trying to get the word out that he is also doing tunes for MK7 GTI's. Anyone that is interested can reach him at etunes@5150-racing.com. Tell him that Hector sent you. ;)

Why is hector holding the money? Cause he's too slow to get away with the cash! Sorry had to get a F&F line in, lol

jcruz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk8 Golf R
I am currently stuck between eurodyne stage 2 vs COBB protune from either 5150 or stratified but I am worried the protune won't be aggressive and I will end up loosing power/torque.
You won't be disappointed. I went from ED stage 2 HT to my cobb protune and couldn't be happier. I didn't use 5150 or Stratified, but they are highly reputable. Any tuner worth their salt will yield a great protune product.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
I will vouch for 5150. Jon is an amazing guy that will make sure your car runs right. His tune seems aggressive because people are not used to seeing that much power from a Stage 2. His e30 tune is even better.

slowgti1

Passed Driver's Ed
Just my take, but 5150 seems pretty aggressive from what we've seen so far. Has anyone gone with stratified at this point?

The only dyno results I have seen for stratified is on their website which is running 91 stock.

jcruz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk8 Golf R
The only dyno results I have seen for stratified is on their website which is running 91 stock.
There are others out there. My brentuning stage2 protune graph is out there somewhere

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

itsaboutime

i'll be going stratified e-tune. ... car has 300 miles i'll a couple more week before starting the process.

I had their OTS map , which was night/day with cobb. I had plan to e-tune it with them but i decided to ditch the ST platform. (Gotta pay to learn they say!)

slowgti1

Passed Driver's Ed
Do most e-tuner/pro tuner provide a stock file? Just in case the vehicle needs to be serviced at the dealership.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
The Cobb stock map is simulated. Uninstall for dealer visits to revert back to your original ecu settings. Even that might not save you from the dreaded TD1, but it's your best bet.

king12sky

Ready to race!
Not yet, but there have been rumors they're working on one. Interested in this too, if anyone has any inside info. ;)

The only reason why im leaning towards the ED tune. =(

Sold my JB4 because i want a smoother DSG shift and the high gear sucks too. Else the JB4 would be my go to since i had it on my BMWs.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
The only reason why im leaning towards the ED tune. =(

Sold my JB4 because i want a smoother DSG shift and the high gear sucks too. Else the JB4 would be my go to since i had it on my BMWs.
Good point, but there are mixed reviews on the ED tcu tune. Plus, you don't have to get both tunes from the same place (though admittedly it would seem more convenient, and most likely be more cost effective as well).

MKVIISpec

Ready to race!
Not yet, but there have been rumors they're working on one. Interested in this too, if anyone has any inside info. ;)

I do know definitively that COBB is working on a TCU tune. This was told to me by an employee at COBB. I don't have any additional info such as specifics or time line. I just know it's being developed. [emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk