GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear hatch top plastic piece

AJ15

Ready to race!
Just noticed that the top plastic appears the be pulled away. Both sides. It doesn't "snap" back in or anything. Anyone have else have this?

It can potentially rattle -- plastic on plastic tapping over a bump. Car is 2 months old.

nuSchule

Ready to race!
Hmmm... I think it should "snap" back in. I had to remove this piece (first) for a rear wiper delete and I believe I remember it having several clips like most of the other panels. Maybe try pulling it off to see if any of the tabs have broken off?

Or... if it's only 2 months old, have the dealership take a look under warranty.

*EDIT* I should have added that this piece should sit flush with the rest of the trim.

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
I had it on mine (noticed it in rear view mirror) - it can be snapped/massaged in. Not only it may stick out but the piece can be source of rattle - particularly in cold weather and over rough roads. I pulled it off (caution, sockets in side pieces can break, better done in warm weather) and applied thin adhesive foam to around edges, spots close to other surfaces. I'd preferred good old screws but it's not the way things are put together nowadays.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Pull it out, one of the metal clips ( metal Christmas tree ) most be out of place or bent , make sure that it is straight before pushing it back in place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16Autobahn

Ready to race!
I agree, pull it off, it's freaky when you do because it feels and sounds like you seriously broke the shit out of it, but you didn't.
Check all the clips and pop that baby back in place. You have to hit it pretty hard so don't be afraid.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
On either side of this piece, there are plastic "teeth" that slot into holes on the left and right elbow trim pieces. They're fairly delicate and can often bend or break if not aligned properly (ask me how I know). Pull the panel and make sure these teeth are in good shape and lined up properly when reinstalling.

AJ15

Ready to race!
Hi All - Thanks for responding. You are all correct. I didn't fully pull the piece off, but I pulled the corners and top off and was able to get the left side seated back correctly. Unfortunately, the right side appears to be broken -- I can see a severed piece of a plastic "tooth" (hat tip to AdamSheikh). My hunch is it was broken by the company that installed the window tint. The piece looks better than it did, but I'll search/source a replacement piece of plastic.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
Hi All - Thanks for responding. You are all correct. I didn't fully pull the piece off, but I pulled the corners and top off and was able to get the left side seated back correctly. Unfortunately, the right side appears to be broken -- I can see a severed piece of a plastic "tooth" (hat tip to AdamSheikh). My hunch is it was broken by the company that installed the window tint. The piece looks better than it did, but I'll search/source a replacement piece of plastic.

rear hatch window tint does not need the trims removed at all.

AJ15

Ready to race!
Quick update. VW fixed this when I took the car in for it's first [included in deal] oil change. They just replaced a plastic clip that had broken. No charge.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Quick update. VW fixed this when I took the car in for it's first [included in deal] oil change. They just replaced a plastic clip that had broken. No charge.

Yeah some of the clips are pretty weak, especially on the door panels. It was probably the tint shop, if i had to guess. When i did my tails some of the trunk pieces you gotta push/bang pretty hard.