GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent software update: ACC now cancels below 10mph?

danjlambert

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all

Sorry if this is common knowledge now but I recently had a software update (specifically for my head unit) and now my adaptive cruise control turns off when the car falls below 10mph. This is in a 16 GTI PP.

Now, surely updating the mib can't affect this (so it might just be a coincidence) but it's only been at the dealer once...so I'm making that link!

Previously it stayed on regardless of speed, and even stopping. (This was the same in my '13 golf) So in stop start traffic it was a dream. Now I have to pay attention as it cuts out if the car is driving too slow! (Lazy I know....)

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this? Seems like quite a radical change from what I'm used to.

Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Sounds like a fault, could be software issue or coincidence. I would ask the dealer to have a look at it though.

sergemcgraw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi have no ideas what's causing it, but turning OFF ACC under 10mph seems like a pretty damn good idea...
I can totally see people stopping and then forgetting it's ON, and I got like 1342 examples in my head of mess it could cause.

danjlambert

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi have no ideas what's causing it, but turning OFF ACC under 10mph seems like a pretty damn good idea...
I can totally see people stopping and then forgetting it's ON, and I got like 1342 examples in my head of mess it could cause.

I agree if the cruise control wasn't adaptive, but that's the whole point!

Previously it would stop when necessary and start again with a tap of the accelerator.

Seems a bit odd to suddenly change this and simply turn off and switch responsibility to driver in a split second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion

That is the whole point of the ACC to be able to drive you from a standstill to the set speed repeatedly. Eve if you forget nothing will happen because as soon as the brake pedal is pressed it cancels it. I have driven hundreds of miles on the motorway without needing to press any pedals at all, you can drive using the resume switch solely.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

Sounds like you have no idea how ACC works. I recommend at least reading your owner's manual, you know, that booklet that was included with the car?

slow12s

Ready to race!
Has anyone with ACC upgraded the MIB software and had it continue to work fine? I'm a little weary of going in for the update until I hear from more people...I love using my ACC (even on a 6spd it isn't as useful under 10mph since it won't brake completely for me (as the car would stall), it brings up the "PLEASE APPLY BRAKES" red message on the gauge display as it's braking...I've never actually just let the car stop itself and stall), but i wouldn't want it to cancel out ACC...just went on my first road trip with the car and ACC is such a useful tweak to cruise control, I'm surprised more cars don't have it

nate704

Go Kart Champion
ACC is very useful feature if you are stuck in "stop and go" traffic, since ACC will automatically go with the traffic flow, apply brakes if needed, come to a stop by itself. But you have to slightly tap the gas to initiate the "go" from a dead stop to re engage the ACC function to resume.

joeblonewjersey

Ready to race!
My experience on a '16 GTI PP is that when up or down shifting with the manual transmission, the cruise control remains engaged. It only disengages when the brake is applied or i is turned off. Years ago, I remember this on other cars disengaging the cruise when using the clutch pedal.
And other similar experiences?

slow12s

Ready to race!
My experience on a '16 GTI PP is that when up or down shifting with the manual transmission, the cruise control remains engaged. It only disengages when the brake is applied or i is turned off. Years ago, I remember this on other cars disengaging the cruise when using the clutch pedal.
And other similar experiences?

It is working as designed. Because of the ACC/the adaptive part can easily slow the car down to under 60mph which would generally require a downshift to accelerate...so the car will allow downshifting/upshifting and you can also get on the throttle if it isn't accelerating to your liking all without cancelling out ACC (accelerating will disable it while you have your foot on the accelerator though and resume once you get off the accelerator)...so in times when you get to a congested area of traffic that slows you down to (just for example) 20mph from 75mph, it will slow down for you and speed back up once traffic clears, you just have to do the shifting

and same as you, on previous cars of mine the clutch has also cancelled out cruise control, but I like the fact that it stays on because of the ACC...just kinda gotten used to it and don't even think about it too much now