GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Air-con pump always active

Golf457

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been monitoring the heating/cooling system of my diesel Golf Mk 7 and used VCDS to create a plot of the three pumps (see graph).

I was surprised to find the aircon pump (light blue line in the chart) is switching on and off at regular intervals even though I have the heating at max, blowers directed as my face and aircon switched off. Is this normal?

It is switching on every 35 seconds and staying on for 6 seconds. At about 16 mins it stays on longer and this pattern happened the following day on the same journey.

Here is the key:
Dark blue - Engine speed diving by 25
Orange - Vehicle speed
Grey - Heater support pump 1 bank 1 second.circuit: activat.
Yellow - Heater support pump 1 bank 1 primary circuit: activation
Light blue - Heater supp.pump 1 bank 1 charg.air cool.circuit: activat.

I'm wondering if this is why my heating is not as hot as it should be.

The chart is of a 25 minute drive, mostly on the motorway at 50mph (M3 roadworks!).

Any information much appreciated.

Attachments

• pumps.jpg
    pumps.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 294

trogger

Do you have the air supply switched to windshield, or windshield plus feet? Since air-conditioned air is drier than outside air, some cars enforce using A/C when you are defrosting the windshield. (Not sure about the mk7.)

(Oh, I guess you said directed at your face.)

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
I don't know the reasoning behind it, but its been discussed here before, our AC unit never completely turns off.

Maybe to always keep it warmed up and ready? Not sure, but this is normal.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Our compressors are variable displacement so they never actually shut off like the old school clutch system. Most likely, the HVAC system uses it for some type of temperature control and or system equalization.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
What is the air temp at the center vent with the heater on full? The compressor being on for 6 seconds is not enough time to cool the system down to impact your air temp.

Golf457

Passed Driver's Ed
Currently the center vent is 60 degrees which is ok. But that's only happened the last couple of weeks. Prior to that I was getting more like 45 degrees. I posted another blog about it.
I don't know if it will stay at 60 when winter arrives or drop again. VW told me in January that another Golf was giving 73 degrees.