GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 Tune Input

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
To clarify, by bugs I mean that Cobb is new to the VW game, and they are having some issues with some tuners getting things dialed in....so, I won't be a test bed, but may jump on a year down the road once they figure it out better. Second, there is zero difference in how the AP flashes your ECU to a normal "flash"..... evidence is there and if your motor blows up they will be able to see it, no matter how much they tell you it deletes the flash counter....whatever you are comfortable with, I personally will stick with JB4 for peace of mind until my warranty is gone
Look, I'm not trying to get into an argument with you but even your clarification is incorrect. There is only 1 tuner that is having an issue with 1 of there tunes. So I don't know where you are getting that "they are having some issues with some tuners getting things dialed in." That's simply incorrect. One tuner does not equate to some tuners. Every other pro-tuner that is tuning MK7's on the AP are starting to release more and more tunes successfully. Secondly, who said that using the Cobb AP isn't a flash? I have no idea where that came from. We all know that it is a flash just like every other flash tune out there. If something goes wrong, your warranty is screwed.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
I guess I am failing to see why anyone would risk their warranty when things like JB4 exist? I mean unless you have tons of cash, at which point I would argue why are you driving a GTI or R?

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
I guess I am failing to see why anyone would risk their warranty when things like JB4 exist? I mean unless you have tons of cash, at which point I would argue why are you driving a GTI or R?

Because there has been at least 8 or more ElsaPro sessions done with Cobb uninstalled and no TD1 thus far. Cobb doesn't guarantee no td1 and neither does JB4. If any of them did for "off road or race only" products they could be liable for damages of loss of warranty if someone does gets td1. Gotta go off on experience here, not hearsay. So far only JB4(and other piggybacks) and Cobb have no issues.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Trust me I would prefer a solution where cables weren't running all over the place! So as my warranty expires, and Cobb gains experience, I will likely be a convert ;)

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Well I went to the track yesterday with the is38 and only had a 1 mph and .1 et improvement over my is20 setup in the 1/4 mile. Granted it was a different track and conditions weren't as good but I ran at both tracks before and times weren't that far different. Another thing was as the weather got cooler my trap speeds got worse so don't know what was up with that. So I'm a bit disappointed on the APR is38 tune. Thinking of stacking with JB4 and logging it to see what is going on or make a switch to another tune. I have 3 weeks to decide before it's too late to return tune.

Luvs2speed

Ready to race!
Well I went to the track yesterday with the is38 and only had a 1 mph and .1 et improvement over my is20 setup in the 1/4 mile. Granted it was a different track and conditions weren't as good but I ran at both tracks before and times weren't that far different. Another thing was as the weather got cooler my trap speeds got worse so don't know what was up with that. So I'm a bit disappointed on the APR is38 tune. Thinking of stacking with JB4 and logging it to see what is going on or make a switch to another tune. I have 3 weeks to decide before it's too late to return tune.

That is strange. How does the car feel doing pulls on the street? Is there a really noticeable increase up top? I am back and forth everyday on doing an IS38 or just trying a stacked JB4 W/M set-up on the IS20.

IDk if you saw but RJ just smashed the GTI IS38 record with his APR + JB4 W/M (and slicks). His trap was 125 and I think he ran 11.2. Just nuts.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
That is strange. How does the car feel doing pulls on the street? Is there a really noticeable increase up top? I am back and forth everyday on doing an IS38 or just trying a stacked JB4 W/M set-up on the IS20.

IDk if you saw but RJ just smashed the GTI IS38 record with his APR + JB4 W/M (and slicks). His trap was 125 and I think he ran 11.2. Just nuts.

I honestly don't mash it on the streets so can't really tell much of a difference between the two. Yeah I saw that so I'm probably going to copy that setup. I'm just thinking there is an issue with the tune or possibly turbo because there should be a much better improvement than what I got. So I want to get that sorted first.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
I honestly don't mash it on the streets so can't really tell much of a difference between the two. Yeah I saw that so I'm probably going to copy that setup. I'm just thinking there is an issue with the tune or possibly turbo because there should be a much better improvement than what I got. So I want to get that sorted first.

Just want to mention that if you don't see a huge difference, something is wrong. A 6-8mph difference in trap speed is huge - both on the butt dyno and in terms of the power needed to make that happen.

To be fair, there are quite a few people running way slower traps than RJ on the APR IS38 setup.
From my point of view, as mentioned in the thread, I saw a DP/IC/Intake A3 with an IS38 (no stacking, no race gas, zero weight reduction, at 100 lbs over a Golf R and almost 300 pounds over a GTI) run 11.7 @ 120mph on the new beta IS38 ED tune. I was at the track, saw the car - was absolutely amazed. No doubt that file in a FWD GTI with traction would be close to RJ - the car dynoed 400whp. Maybe send Chris (owner of Eurodyne) an email and see what is happening with it.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Just want to mention that if you don't see a huge difference, something is wrong. A 6-8mph difference in trap speed is huge - both on the butt dyno and in terms of the power needed to make that happen.

To be fair, there are quite a few people running way slower traps than RJ on the APR IS38 setup.
From my point of view, as mentioned in the thread, I saw a DP/IC/Intake A3 with an IS38 (no stacking, no race gas, zero weight reduction, at 100 lbs over a Golf R and almost 300 pounds over a GTI) run 11.7 @ 120mph on the new beta IS38 ED tune. I was at the track, saw the car - was absolutely amazed. No doubt that file in a FWD GTI with traction would be close to RJ - the car dynoed 400whp. Maybe send Chris (owner of Eurodyne) an email and see what is happening with it.

I'm running APR is38. Talked to APR already and they agree that my traps should have improved. I just need a way to log it to see what is going on because I don't have vcds. Maybe this is an excuse for me to jump to ED/cobb. Ugghh decisions.

Edit: I think the normal trap for is38 would be around 117 mph right? I'm at 115 so 2 mph off that but was trapping 114 with is20.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
The Cobb is38 map was released today. But it's only for m/t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
I'm running APR is38. Talked to APR already and they agree that my traps should have improved. I just need a way to log it to see what is going on because I don't have vcds. Maybe this is an excuse for me to jump to ED/cobb. Ugghh decisions.

Edit: I think the normal trap for is38 would be around 117 mph right? I'm at 115 so 2 mph off that but was trapping 114 with is20.

Yeah, 117-118 is correct.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah, 117-118 is correct.

I'm thinking weather/track conditions weren't great and I'm getting some timing pull that is costing me that 2 mph or so. On my is20 I ran e30 (91/e85 blend) on APR 93oct tune and that ran awesome. This time around I did 91/100 octane blend on APR 93 tune because I'm worried about running lean with e30 and the is38. I'll probably switch back to around e30 and wait for weather to improve to see if I can do better.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
I'm thinking weather/track conditions weren't great and I'm getting some timing pull that is costing me that 2 mph or so. On my is20 I ran e30 (91/e85 blend) on APR 93oct tune and that ran awesome. This time around I did 91/100 octane blend on APR 93 tune because I'm worried about running lean with e30 and the is38. I'll probably switch back to around e30 and wait for weather to improve to see if I can do better.

You safe with E30, this is tried and tested on our side with the APR tune.