GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 LP Headlights

vrod

Ready to race!
Yes i have DLA. But the 7.0 and 7.5 windscreen cameras for DLA are different in position and dimensions... question is then if it's the same for the hard/software. If it's just a fenderchange, headlight change (perhaps little wiring) and then some vcds programming i'm all in... would be a nice weekend project and it would be pretty easy to get rid of my old lights. :D

vrod

Ready to race!
Ok so actually looks like the fenders are the same... i found fenders here on ebay in germany...

Right: 5G0821106A
Left: 5G0821105A

Looking those partnr's up gives me a lot of results from the 7.0 model.

Someone know where I could source the lights for a good price?

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!
I really want to believe you as I am optimistic on a retrofit.
Who said they wouldn't fit in the first place? All I read was someone state that VW told them that the fenders and bumper are different but had no evidence to backup the claim.

If I had the funds to put up for a test fit I'd be on it.

Meanwhile I'll wait here anxiously for good news ;)

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I will go on record saying they would fit the whole time.

The fenders and bumper under the headlights looks exactly the same.

If no one has fitted these in the next 40ish days I will buy a set and try.

I just currently can't make any big purchases until my divorce is over so I will need to sit this one out for a month or so.

kmhman87

Passed Driver's Ed
I wish there is any info on the connectors. I imagine the LED lights without AFS (dynamic bending) should have similar connectors to halogen lights. I wanted to replace the halogen lights to an OEM solution and saw how complicated it is to get bi-xenon with AFS to work.

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!
All fender part numbers that have been listed so far as "need new fenders" come up on record being available for 2014 models - you can run the part numbers in this thread on cars245.
If this is true - fenders dont need replacement.

Perhaps someone with a facelift model can obtain part numbers from a dealer via VIN and let us know what they came up with.

Pre facelift Xenon retrofit is not an easy task - AFS is the tough part as you need a supporting BCM, CAN Gateway and the AFS rear sensor + module.

Right, who said they wouldn't fit? I'll give you the answer: Nobody said that, at
least I don't remember anyone saying that. Though it was me saying Volkswagen
made 'changes' to the front fenders and that's why we should be little careful.

'Evidence'? Who has to procure 'evidence' for what 'claim'?

When we have no prove for anything at that time what else than 'claim' what the
manufactuer 'claims' should one do? Claim from guessing it 'should' fit and let other
members spend money on costly parts that don't fit? Who would you do a favour?

Let's provide 'evidence' for what Volkswagen 'claimed':

"The modifications include new bumpers, new halogen headlights with LED daytime
running lights, new full LED headlights to replace the xenon headlights, new front
wings
, new full LED tail lights fitted as standard on every version as well as new
alloy wheels."

https://www.volkswagen-media-servic...bb2c669d2073d17b2e2d769ab25?p_p_auth=xF8MAl4i

Enough evidence?

As a responsible forum mate I had to point to that potential issue. ;)

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!
Thank you for pointing that out BB and thank you for the link - as we are a public forum I think any informative statements should be supported by some form of evidence (photo, video, article) as other will be using this info as reference.

I wasn't trying to put anyone on the spot but rather give us memebrs some motivation to still look into the option of fitting the headlights and understanding if other parts are involved.
As we are relying on a single source (that you provided above) as our point of reference, it still seems slightly vague to me as to what extent parts we updated.

As I mentioned in previous posts, the part numbers that have been provided in this thread do not indicate that the fenders are facelift only. This means one of two things:
1. The part numbers stated are incorrect
2. The fenders are the same

I would not recommend anyone to source parts and test - I would recommend that those with access to spares would test fit, such as Ed from BEC.

Last edited:
I agree, it's still vague and I hope the new LED headlights still do fit pre-FL Golfs.
I'm rather optimistic since they could have modified the fenders somewhere else
(IF they did this at all). It doesn't need to be the shape of the headlights.

Any way, someone here needs to go ahead. If there's a vendor, even better . . .

vrod

Ready to race!
I would be willing to fit these but I can't find them anywhere to be sourced. Since I have afs/dla already I would need the model with that.

I can also imagine that the BCM might be needed to be changed to support LED-headlights. Could also be that it doesn't because there was the GTE LED's for the 7.0.

One thing I'm pretty certain would have to be changed is the AFS control module since these are different headlights and different manufacturer.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Ok - to put any confusion to rest, the new headlights DO require new fenders and a new bumper. Here is a photo of a facelift bumper on a non-facelift car.

Note the gap created between the headlight, fender, and bumper.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Looks like you could close that gap up by adjusting the front nut of the headlight. After my IC swap (and stupidly removed the headlights to do it) I had awful fitment almost as bad as that pic (I am assuming you are talking about the very top? There is a little black tab that the headlight rests on in the front corner. The nut is adjustable so you can move the headlight up/down so it rests on that tab. I had to crank mine pretty far out so it would fill in that gap with the fender.