GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How do you like your tinted windshield?

nate704

Go Kart Champion
I am considering getting my windshield tinted (legally), and I just need some inputs from people who have them on their windshield, and what you have.
Any haze or blur or ghosting issue during the day or at night? Sunset or sunrise directly through the windshield?
Please let me know.

Toasty

I am getting mine tinted. I had Llumar Air Blue 80 on my 2013 ST and it was great, helped a ton with heat, and you would never know tint was on it.

pitterchi

Ready to race!
DELETED MOST OF MY POST - realized you said Windshield.

You can read through this:
http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title46.2/chapter10/section46.2-1052/

Pretty much says you can't tint the front windshield. Maybe they will if you get a medical release.

E. No film or darkening material may be applied on the windshield except to replace the sunshield in the uppermost area as installed by the manufacturer of the vehicle.

If you go with a 100% film, you probably would never get caught but technically its still illegal.

Last edited:

dinh

Passed Driver's Ed
I have Rayno Ceramic line done on my R. 20% all around and 70% on the windshield.

Anyone who looks at the car from the outside of the windshield just thinks that it looks slightly darker because it tinted all around. And when I say slightly darker I mean you can barely tell. From the inside there is also a very minuscule hue of it being darker.

You can only tell the difference if you move from a car without tint to mine or vice versa. But then again you might just think the quality of the glass is different. No passenger or tech has commented on my windshield asking if it has been tinted.

I have no issues day or night nor with Sun at any given time. I purely did this for sun protection reasons to the interior and to myself. The car feels great with the a/c and direct sunlight. One thing that definitely sucks is that I recently got a huge crack, appears to be a stress crack and the dealership is investigating. They said most likely it will be replaced under warranty but we'll see. After that I have to pay to get it tinted once again.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Pretty much says you can't tint the front windshield. Maybe they will if you get a medical release.

E. No film or darkening material may be applied on the windshield except to replace the sunshield in the uppermost area as installed by the manufacturer of the vehicle.

If you go with a 100% film, you probably would never get caught but technically its still illegal.

Even Air80, they will never notice. No one had been able to tell it was tinted, but you will notice the difference. Even in the Texas heat, I can keep my ac on fan speed 2 instead of 4/5. (Of course that is no windows tinted to all, but windshield had a huge impact on this).

No ghosting, blurring. Actually reduced glare at night. For me anyway . Ymmv

nate704

Go Kart Champion

I am getting the medical waiver. Simple signature from my doctor on the DMV waiver form and done.
So, it will be legal for all of my vehicles.
I usually don't get the windshield tinted, but my new job and 45 minute commute requires driving east during the sunrise and west during the sunset which literally burns my chest, arms, and face for 45 minute drive both ways, and side window tint barely helps in those situations.

pitterchi

Ready to race!
I am getting the medical waiver. Simple signature from my doctor on the DMV waiver form and done.
So, it will be legal for all of my vehicles.
I usually don't get the windshield tinted, but my new job and 45 minute commute requires driving east during the sunrise and west during the sunset which literally burns my chest, arms, and face for 45 minute drive both ways, and side window tint barely helps in those situations.

Looks like you can go 35% all the way around with a 70% windshield.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#medical/sunshading.asp

I would do the max. Just get a high quality ceramic tint. It'll cost more but it will help with the heat in the car too. I wish I could get the windshield tinted...

I don't see any blurring or haze with my tint through my windows that are tinted.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Llumar air 80 (80%) is what I have on my windshield and two front windows , my rear hatch and rear passenger window are darker. The law changed here in NYS you need to and although my shop passed my inspection with tints on I changed the fronts so that cops don't bother me.
Funny thing is that I had a friend of mine (Cop) use his tint meter and it measured 64% with the air 80 not good since the law says 70% so I guess that our factory tint is probably 70% already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk