GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I've noticed avg ignition closely matches boost, so I think it is completely related to actual ignition timing.

I searched for it once before to try and find out what it is. Ign1 is the actual advance though. I can't remember how it is phrased. I'll see if I can find it again.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Here is what it means on the units for the BMW. Numbers don't make sense for ours though.

Avg Ign: Average Ignition Retard. A JB4 calculated value with a range of 0 - 6 that represents the average amount of timing below the maximum possible curve over a short term window. Lower values indicate a higher overall ignition advance while higher values indicate a lower overall ignition curve. This calculation is used by the JB4 for evaluating octane content by both map 5 (auto learning) and map 3 (methanol injection). Values below about 1.5 result in full Map 3 or Map 5 scheduled boost levels.
Values between about 1.5 and 6.0 result in lower and lower boost targets as an added safety feature for these two maps. As a general rule when using meth, race gas, or heavy E85 mixtures look for values below 2.0. When using pump gas expect values of 5 or higher.

Here is where I found it. Look at what Ign1 is. This is where I also noticed that they run higher for the FOL, so I gave it a shot to see what it would do on ours.
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21269

Last edited:

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Chris told me he ran a newer 5.0 with exhaust on it and he pulled on him a little bit with just 93 octane and his lower boost setting. They did a couple of runs from 60-120. Same results both times. He thinks it would have been a few car lengths if it was high boost and som e85

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, I noticed that everyone running close to 20psi and above are around the 12.5* advance. Seems like that is pretty normal from the logs I have seen. That leads me to believe that Ironshades log is not too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I was thinking. If his IAT was lower he might be near 12 too.

Commenting on this log, George also mentioned the continuous rise with no correction being a good thing.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I don't know guys. The gti uses different cams and has the variables. The guys with clean logs are hitting 11-11.5. That's what they are doing on map 4 as well though. Our map 4 would show you 18.5 degrees up top. I've been told over and over again that adding more boost at the expense of timing does not make more power, just more heat. So essentially a log at 18 psi with 18 degrees of advance has a good chance of making more power than one that shows 22psi with 12 degrees of advance

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
I asked George point blank. He woudnt five me a number, but he told me my log looked good.

What does the Facebook guy get for timing?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I searched for it once before to try and find out what it is. Ign1 is the actual advance though. I can't remember how it is phrased. I'll see if I can find it again.

I just realized I made a typo that completely changed the meaning of what I was trying to say. I mean to say unrelated :p

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Looking back through my logs, I've never had ign1 go over 12.5 except for off throttle overun situations.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
I have seen higher as Twindad said, but only below 17 psi. <=16.5psi and I have seen as high as 20* but rarely. Mostly 17* to 18*. At 17psi to 17.5psi I get as high as 15* if IAT's are cool enough. 18psi and up I see around 12.5*.

My bypass run at 12 looks pretty bad then. I'll let you know what George says.

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
My bypass run at 12 looks pretty bad then. I'll let you know what George says.

It does seem to go flat at the end of the run but I don't always get that high of advance either. As iat's go up timing goes down. I noticed that timing is also load dependent, more load less timing. For instance on a slight uphill grade my timing can peak 2* or 3* lower and on a slight downhill grade it will go up some. There are a lot of variables that affect timing. I wouldn't be alarmed by one log.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk