GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk5 Retractable Rear Sunshade in 2 Door Mk7 GTI

thechromecoyote

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
I'm not a huge fan of rear window tints, so the rear sunshade I had on my MK5 was something I was very thankful for.

I searched but wasn't seeing anything for 2 Door versions of the MK7, unless I wanted to pay $300 for the 4 Door pop-in ones and toss the 2 side shades.

Other than scouring ebay or the forums for someone with a set of the pop-ins that wanted to part with just the rear... pickings are slim in this category.

So I took the retractable shade from my Mk5, measured the space, and installed it in my Mk7

The edge of the housing sits pretty much flush with the edge of the trunk tray, and it doesn't interfere with the drawstrings that raise and lower the trunk tray.

The upper trim brackets even fit in the same place on the Mk7, but leave a slightly larger than desired gap at the top. This can easily be solved by shortening the bracket length which is next in this project.

So far, this is what I have... what do you guys think?

For reference, this is part number 1k0 064 360 and costs between $60-80 depending on where you find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

thechromecoyote

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
Those are the 4 Door "pop in" style that I was referring to in the write up.

I have a 2 Door, which means the side ones are useless for me. And it's very expensive to be throwing 2/3 of the kit away.

If I could find someone who has them and is willing to part with just the rear hardware, I'd totally be down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thechromecoyote

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
All non OEM (not that it always matters whether its OEM), and for x2-3 the cost of the Mk5 retractable sun shade.

It's going to take some minor tweaking on the top to get it to sit flush; but I'm comfortable with the decision to try something a little out of the box seeing as how much I enjoyed having this part in my Mk5, and I wanted to share my experience doing so :p

Ill probably be ordering the ClimAir Sonniboy eventually, when have a spare $200 to see how that fits

surfstar

Ready to race!
Whats wrong with tint?

If you buy a quality ceramic tint, it will block all UV and a good part of heat will be rejected, all while being barely darker.
LLumar CTX 35 or 40 (or similar). Blocks as much heat as a dark, cheap metallic film.

I'm a cheap bastard and all for re-purposing parts, but that looks like $*&#