GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

In hotter climates would it be wiser to change intercooler before a tune?

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Any increase in volume is compensated by a reduction in pressure loss (vs the stock units). [Large intercooler, but better flow internally]

I haven't seen any report of additional turbo lag from anyone with an aftermarket intercooler. Be it tuned, stock, or piggybacks.

italynstylion

Ready to race!
If you plan on pushing the car hard for longer periods of time I would highly recommend the intercooler upgrade. I have an APR Stage 2 Golf R (2017) and I went for the larger intercooler immediately since I live in Dallas Texas. Most of the time I'm cruising with a hard pull here and there. For that, you don't really need the intercooler. However, if you plan on tracking the car, you NEED it. That's why I bought it.

If you track your car you don't need more power at all, though you'd
definitely need upgrades to your brakes, suspension and tires instead.

FlyGTI2

Ready to race!
The Intercooler is only needed for additional runs at the drags, track duty or if you live in hot country.

By living in Hades (Arizona) we experience the hottest temp records in the nation. And it doesn’t matter what car in the last 40 years I driven here you can feel the car struggle with the searing asphalt heat. I have gloves in my car for those 120° days.

I remember having a 3/4 surburban and listening to the factory clutch fan kicking in hard all day, by adding a huge electric fan to the front the issue had quieted down immensely.

I’m going watch for a used aftermarket IC in the Classifieds section and try it out.

Disclaimer: This is an opinion.

Last edited: