GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Halogen Light Bulb Help?

GTi_MkVII

Dear Guys'n'Gals,

I am looking to replace all of the light bulbs in the headlights - looking to go LED and Brighter white for the regular bulbs. I have no idea what bulbs go into the headlamps - I have the basic halogen set and would like to know specifically which I should order?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide me!!

slush.puppie

Ready to race!
Dear Guys'n'Gals,

I am looking to replace all of the light bulbs in the headlights - looking to go LED and Brighter white for the regular bulbs. I have no idea what bulbs go into the headlamps - I have the basic halogen set and would like to know specifically which I should order?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide me!!

not sure of any of the sizes, but do no order LED bulbs for headlights themselves (city/parking lights are okay). leds are very bright, but have horrible output. you will not be able to drive above like 15mph at night as you won't be able to see more than like 20 feet in front of your car.

also, do not put hid bulbs in your reflector housings. the light will be scattered, and blinding to other cars.

your best bet would be to purchase oem xenon housings, and retrofit. however you may need to do some wiring if the harnesses are different (often are between halogen and hid), and you may be missing out on auto-leveling functionality, as you'll be missing sensors, etc. this will make the lights less effective, and also (most likely) illegal.

you can buy something like sylvania silverstar bulbs, which are whiter, but they're kind of pricey, and they tend to burn out rather quickly, so you may want to buy two sets. i ran them in a b5 audi years ago, and they burned out in < 6 months. after going through 3 sets of bulbs i upgraded to oem xenon units.

GTi_MkVII

Do you guys know what the bulbs type or style: that is used for city/parking lights.

So I can order em up - thanks for the advice not to purchase H7 LEDS haha that sounds like it would've been a awful attempt at looking cool with little to no utility!

Defs wanna upgrade the parking and drl's to led tho to get that intense bright white luxe look.

Finepics

Ready to race!
I went for Osram Nightbreaker H7 limited edition Gold's for dipped beam and the Xencn H15 for the DRL/Mains - the Xencn are marked Osram but that's clearly not right since Osram don't make White light bulbs so they must be fakes. They have blue glass that's properly coloured on the inside of the glass rather than being painted on the outside and they certainly work ok. Given how damned difficult it is to fit the nearside (drivers side in US) I'll leave as is for now!!

Golfing1

Passed Driver's Ed
The halogen bulbs in my car are - Dip H7, Main/DRL/Park H15, Fog H11. In New Zealand there are what is called "Xenon Look" halogen bulbs which have blue tinted glass to give a very white look and they can be bought quite cheaply on TradeMe which is the local equivalent of Ebay. The H15 is a dual filament 55/15W bulb using 55W for full beam and 15W for DRL and with lower power input for park. See my post "Xenon Look Main/DRL/Park Light Bulb" for details on my car.

GTi_MkVII

Sorry to continue buggin about the light bulb nonesense - does anyone know what type of blinker bulbs are used for the MK VII front headlamps for the NON-HID headlights?

skruf

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry to continue buggin about the light bulb nonesense - does anyone know what type of blinker bulbs are used for the MK VII front headlamps for the NON-HID headlights?

Here you go: http://am-application.osram.info/publish/index_en.html

Just select your car and you will get info on ALL the lamps around the car, with both HID and non HID combinations :cool:

EDIT: And to answer your question, the front blinkers on the non HID version are PWY24W bulbs. I purchased these LED bulbs for my front blinkers: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PWY24W-LED-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item540b00747e&vxp=mtr
They really look awesome, so if you are looking to replace your front indicators, I would go for these :)

Here is a comparison video (Not my video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ywFtoOBn2g

rbk

Ready to race!
not sure of any of the sizes, but do no order LED bulbs for headlights themselves (city/parking lights are okay). leds are very bright, but have horrible output. you will not be able to drive above like 15mph at night as you won't be able to see more than like 20 feet in front of your car.

I'm really curious about this, I was under the impression LEDs make good headlights and are being used on most new high end cars.

I am sticking with my oem set up on my gti as I'm quite satisfied with the lighting package but I also have a 2006 lexus gs430 and I just ordered a kensun LED kit as I'm getting sick and tired of having to replace my halogens every 6mo.

I did a bunch of research and everything I found said LEDs make great headlights so I'm wondering about this claim that they have terrible output.

would really appreciate any feedback.

cheers.