GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official MN Thread

ninjalix

First post ;-) figured I might as well post up since I'll be at the MNVW opener on Sunday. I just picked up a '16 GTI PP about a month ago. Had some work done since, nothing crazy though, not yet at least ;-)

Some pics.

Day I got it!

Tint and some Wrap done at TintPros/Platinum Wraps.

As it sits today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

where did you go to get the roof wrap done? and how much? if you dont mind me asking.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for alignment shops around the Twin Cities. I am going to install lowering springs this weekend and will get it aligned shortly after. I have heard the ACC may complicate things.

Thanks

I used Samaritan Tire Co in Minnetonka. They charged $89. They were recommended to my by Further Performance after doing my spring install, because of their equipment (I believe it was a Hunter something or other unit).

I've also used them for tire installs. Was nervous about getting tires put on my brand new BBS but the owner Chris assured me it was no issue and they install tires on high end cars/wheels all the time. While I was there I saw a Golf R in the shop getting some Neuspeeds fitted. All they do is alignments and tires.

So I can't say 100% what goes on behind the scenes but based on my experiences they seem like a good shop and have treated me well.

JDUBMN

where did you go to get the roof wrap done? and how much? if you dont mind me asking.

Platinum Wraps over in New Brighton, also known as Tint Pros. I'd hit them up for a price. I did all my tint and wrap at the same time. Also did clear on the headlights so it was close to $1000 for everything. If you talk to Tien just tell him John Willett told you about it and he may give you a discount but i can't guarantee it lol.

Honestly I had all my cars and bike (RIP) done by them spanning the last 10 years and they always do an awesome job.

https://platinumautowraps.com/

schwab0

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW
Platinum Wraps over in New Brighton, also known as Tint Pros. I'd hit them up for a price. I did all my tint and wrap at the same time. Also did clear on the headlights so it was close to $1000 for everything. If you talk to Tien just tell him John Willett told you about it and he may give you a discount but i can't guarantee it lol.

Honestly I had all my cars and bike (RIP) done by them spanning the last 10 years and they always do an awesome job.

https://platinumautowraps.com/

if you join MNVW, one of the perks is that you get a hefty discount from Tint Pro's aside from other deal i.e. Nur Technik on part installs etc.

JDUBMN

if you join MNVW, one of the perks is that you get a hefty discount from Tint Pro's aside from other deal i.e. Nur Technik on part installs etc.

Nice! I've known those guys at Tint Pro, Tien specially for a long time they kind of already hook me up lol but definitely interested to hear/learn more about the MNVW membership tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Hello fellow Minnesotans. This thread seems pretty dead, but...

Wondering if anyone in the Minneapolis area is interested in my stock GTI catback? Took it off at low mileage (around 5k) so it’s pretty “new”. Don’t want to store it anymore. Asking $50 or reasonable offers. Could be good for anyone looking to go back to stock or perhaps some Golf owners wanting to do a conversion? I know it’s a bit of a long shot but hoping someone could use it as otherwise I’ll probably take it to the dump. Let me know!

-Nick

jasn.tc

Howdy - I sold my 2016 Golf and would like to see if there is anyone in Minneapolis/St. Paul who would like my pop in sunshades (rear and hatch). Have all the clips and free to a good home ;-)

Nitrobackflip

Hey all, not sure how much response I should expect here but I just ordered a Mk7.5 R and I've been researching a winter setup while I wait. No decisions on wheels yet, but I'm pretty settled on running 17x7.5 on 225/50 X-Ice Xi3's. Also considering 17x8's (because you're not not looking at NS RSe16's) on 235/45's, but I've never done seasonal sets so I'm wondering what people typically run for winter? Pros and cons? Any info is appreciated.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Hey all, not sure how much response I should expect here but I just ordered a Mk7.5 R and I've been researching a winter setup while I wait. No decisions on wheels yet, but I'm pretty settled on running 17x7.5 on 225/50 X-Ice Xi3's. Also considering 17x8's (because you're not not looking at NS RSe16's) on 235/45's, but I've never done seasonal sets so I'm wondering what people typically run for winter? Pros and cons? Any info is appreciated.

1st, I would highly recommend a winter setup. Stock tires are garbage in our winters.

I'm running 17x7.5 ET35. Brings it pretty flush without spacers. 17's are the smallest you can get away with due to brakes. It will be a tight fight but plenty of people run them. I've never had an issue.

Unless there's a specific wheel you want, I don't think 17x8 would be an advantage. Don't they say skinnier wheels for snow?

Lot's of options for winter tires but size-wise I did 225/45/R17. They are Nitto, had them for ~4 seasons now and still happy with their performance. The 17's take some of the pain out of bad roads and are more comfortable.

With the R's AWD, 17's, and a good set of winter tires, you should have a very capable and fun winter vehicle.

Here's what my winter setup looks like on my GTI for reference:

The Ringer

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Here are 18” VW Motorsport (from my 2012 GTI) on my R. They are wrapped in Nokian Hakkepellita R2s. Best winter setup I have ever had. I, too, can’t recommend a winter setup strongly enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nitrobackflip

1st, I would highly recommend a winter setup. Stock tires are garbage in our winters.

I'm running 17x7.5 ET35. Brings it pretty flush without spacers. 17's are the smallest you can get away with due to brakes. It will be a tight fight but plenty of people run them. I've never had an issue.

Unless there's a specific wheel you want, I don't think 17x8 would be an advantage. Don't they say skinnier wheels for snow?

Lot's of options for winter tires but size-wise I did 225/45/R17. They are Nitto, had them for ~4 seasons now and still happy with their performance. The 17's take some of the pain out of bad roads and are more comfortable.

With the R's AWD, 17's, and a good set of winter tires, you should have a very capable and fun winter vehicle.

Here's what my winter setup looks like on my GTI for reference:

Thanks for the info, looks great btw. The only reason I'm considering 8's is because I love the RSe16's, and to be honest we have a long winter here where the majority of the days are spent on cold, dry pavement. A little bit more width might be nice for that.

My other question is are your Nittos winter performance or ice/snow? Having trouble deciding between X-Ice and Sottozero 3's. On the one hand, we certainly have days with deep snow, but on the other and more to my previous point, we have a great many days where it's just cold but mostly dry. Maybe it makes sense to go with the X-Ice if I decide to go with the 8" wheel, to sort of combine those characteristics?

Nitrobackflip

Here are 18” VW Motorsport (from my 2012 GTI) on my R. They are wrapped in Nokian Hakkepellita R2s. Best winter setup I have ever had. I, too, can’t recommend a winter setup strongly enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks great! I was pretty tempted by the Motorsports for their dimensions but decided to go with 17's for that extra sidewall height.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the info, looks great btw. The only reason I'm considering 8's is because I love the RSe16's, and to be honest we have a long winter here where the majority of the days are spent on cold, dry pavement. A little bit more width might be nice for that.

My other question is are your Nittos winter performance or ice/snow? Having trouble deciding between X-Ice and Sottozero 3's. On the one hand, we certainly have days with deep snow, but on the other and more to my previous point, we have a great many days where it's just cold but mostly dry. Maybe it makes sense to go with the X-Ice if I decide to go with the 8" wheel, to sort of combine those characteristics?

Thanks. I believe my Nittos are the Ice and Snow, the model is NT-SN2. I'm not super familiar with tires but I've been happy with them, in heavy snow, as well as on cold dry pavement. And I'm certainly no tire expert but I would think the biggest factor in a winter tire is the rubber compound, in which case any tire that is designed for cold weather, snow or not, should do a LOT better than an all-season.

The difference between 7.5 and 8 inch width isn't a big one so I'd just get the wheels you prefer. Might as well get what you like since you'll be running them for a good 5 months of the year. The 17" sidewall will make things more comfortable on bad roads, too.

Honestly I've always felt that my winter tires have better grip on cold dry pavement than my stock all-seasons do in the summer. I really need to look into upgrading those :D but using them just half the year and with my short commute they aren't wearing very fast and I have a hard time throwing out perfectly usable tires.