GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil change.

ihor_bayus

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi everybody.
I have owned my gti for 2 years know and I been going to dealership for my oil changes every 8 thousand kilometres like my dealer tells me to. But know I'm gonna try and do oil changes my self. My cars computer tells me I need oil change every 25 thousand kilometres which makes no sense to me seems a bit unreal. Can someone help me out why my dealer tells me every 8 thousand maybe difference in oil? I am from Canada I see people in dates so it every 10 thousand miles 5 thousand and it makes me so confused. Sorry if I sound noob just trying to learn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m00se

Ready to race!
I do mine every 15,000 kms as per what the manual says. If you search online a little bit you'll find some oil analysis for the mk7 GTI that are still perfectly within spec after the standard intervals of 15K kms.
The dealer told me the same thing after my free oil change, I asked why and they said it was better for the engine. I told them the VW manual states 15K km, and they told me some bullshit answer that VW manual says 15K is the life expectancy and not the oil change interval. I laughed and I told them I was never bringing my car there anymore.

Basically they're doing it every 8K to steal your money. Save your money, put the proper oil in and do it every 15k (unless you drive in extremely harsh conditions, track the car a lot etc.).

firstgolf2015

I would call VW Canada and ask them. I would also ask why this particular dealership is pushing their customer to change at 8000 km. When I ask the question the fella at dealer told me synthetic oil last longer than conventional oil. He also mention working at Land Rover dealership for many years and doing oil change at 25000 km. Customer pay enough we do not need bad dealership ripping people off.
My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DHC6

Passed Driver's Ed
With my MK6 I simply followed the maintance schedule in the manual. I did all the items listed at each interval and documented my maintance. I think dealers often get you in more often as a cash grab. If you follow the manufactures recomended maintance cycle, document your work (i.e. Receipts, keep track of exact millage) then they can not deny any warranty claims. I use Motul specific oil and OEM filters/parts and keep/document KM on each service interval.

I just got my new MK7 R and I will do the same thing.